Question about Registry Info

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Chantelle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Question about Registry Info

Post by Chantelle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if there is a place where one can access info on the pedigrees, progeny etc, of all the registered Tamaskans? I only ask as I came across a great site that does this for the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog here:

http://www.wolfdog.org/site/dbase

It has a searchable database of registered breeders and registered dogs, showing lineage, health, show results, etc and I wondered if the Tamaskan has a similar thing? When I am reading here about certain dogs and wonder who their parents/siblings are, it's sometimes hard to keep track, and something like the above would be a fantastic one stop resource.

Thanks!

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Question about Registry Info

Post by nivenj » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I believe its being worked on, but is currently only available to breeders. Hopefully one day we will get access.

http://www.tamaskan-database.com/
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 am

I'm working on it ;)
Hopefully in the near future it will also be available to the public.

Chantelle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Chantelle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Good to hear, thank you!

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks Rahne, Any idea on timeline for when it will be available. Can I ask what the issue is currently with getting access?. If its a technical issue maybe I can help?. I think its such a valuable resource for not only Breeders but owners and prospective owners as well. I think it would be great if we could relate back to parentage when we see owners talking about their dogs, even as just a resource to identify which would be the appropriate breeder to approach to get a similair dog to one that they have seen in the forum. It would also help with people like myself who are fascinated with Genealogy. A single resource would be much better than trying to pull things together from multiple sources. It took a long time for me to work out what Ayden and Finn's relationship was, and we found a slight anomaly on one of the lines so access to the definitive list would be such a godsend.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat May 19, 2012 7:09 pm

nivenj wrote:Thanks Rahne, Any idea on timeline for when it will be available. Can I ask what the issue is currently with getting access?. If its a technical issue maybe I can help?. I think its such a valuable resource for not only Breeders but owners and prospective owners as well. I think it would be great if we could relate back to parentage when we see owners talking about their dogs, even as just a resource to identify which would be the appropriate breeder to approach to get a similair dog to one that they have seen in the forum. It would also help with people like myself who are fascinated with Genealogy. A single resource would be much better than trying to pull things together from multiple sources. It took a long time for me to work out what Ayden and Finn's relationship was, and we found a slight anomaly on one of the lines so access to the definitive list would be such a godsend.
I hope asap but it's not for me to decide. There are no technical issues, I could easily make it public.. The only reason why it isn't is because Lynn & Jennie are against it. So far they have not given me any info/pedigrees, unlike most other breeders who have been very helpful :)

I totally agree with you that it would benefit everyone, also (future) Tamaskan owners! Maybe it helps if people will hold a petition and present it to the TDR committee :lol:

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sat May 19, 2012 7:15 pm

perhapse people who are regestered on this forum could gain access with a password rather than have it open to the general public. That way you would have controll over who get's to use it. :?

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Rahne wrote: I hope asap but it's not for me to decide. There are no technical issues, I could easily make it public.. The only reason why it isn't is because Lynn & Jennie are against it. So far they have not given me any info/pedigrees, unlike most other breeders who have been very helpful

I totally agree with you that it would benefit everyone, also (future) Tamaskan owners! Maybe it helps if people will hold a petition and present it to the TDR committee :lol:
:shock: Really?

It wouldnt be difficult for us as owners to get together and create our own based on the pedigree's we've been given when we purchased the dogs, it would just need a bit of organising, but ultimately the information is already out there, so I cant see any valid reason for withholding the information from forum users :?

Can we get an official statement from the TDR Committee on this then? Lynn/Jen/Fiona/Debby/John?

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat May 19, 2012 7:24 pm

issylupus wrote:perhapse people who are regestered on this forum could gain access with a password rather than have it open to the general public. That way you would have controll over who get's to use it. :?
That could be a solution. Why would you be against it being (partly) public though? There are many breeds that have a public database.
Saarloos: http://www.saarlooswolfdog.com/
Czech: http://www.wolfdog.org/site/dbase

I could also make it so that owners/breeders can enter their dogs themselves and set permissions (parts visible for everyone or only for breeders).

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Rahne wrote: I could also make it so that owners/breeders can enter their dogs themselves and set permissions (parts visible for everyone or only for breeders).
I'd only suggest you do that if there is some internal database checking to ensure there is no finger trouble with people attaching their dogs to the wrong Dam & Sire. Otherwise you could get compound errors.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I would be perfectly happy for the database to go live once all the correct information is present, but at the moment I am not entirely happy with the information published on the database. I think if certain issues were resolved then this could all go forward that much quicker.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 pm

blufawn wrote:I would be perfectly happy for the database to go live once all the correct information is present, but at the moment I am not entirely happy with the information published on the database. I think if certain issues were resolved then this could all go forward that much quicker.
Thats excellent news. So can we come up with a plan and timeline to make it happen?

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Its no longer up to me if or when the database is made public, however I know some have decided to re-do their websites to include pedigrees and health test results for their dogs, including Lynn (Blustag) whose new website I am right now trying to upload, but failing miserably :(
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!