Illegal in Norway?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Illegal in Norway?

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Kyliedelonge wrote:A tad off topic, but Aussie law- grey hounds must be muzzled in public
That is really sad, every greyhound I have been around has been so nice.
I agree, I have met a few rescued greyhounds when walking and they have only needed to be muzzled for a short time after finishing racing, long enough to get out of the habit of chasing small fluffy things, ok if it is a squirrel but not someone's small dog!! After that the are calm dogs.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 am

Reviving this thread. Turns out Tams are very likely illegal in Norway considering recent DNA tests.

SUCKs! I can never bring my girl 'home'.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:08 am

martinbernstein wrote:Reviving this thread. Turns out Tams are very likely illegal in Norway considering recent DNA tests.

SUCKs! I can never bring my girl 'home'.
Would it be possible to lie by claiming her to be a Saarloos since that breed is not banned in Norway? I'm not really fond of that idea myself but I just thought perhaps since you're already calling her a racing husky and so.

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am

It's one thing to call her a racing husky (generic, non specific term) to regular people, and another to lie to authorities by saying she is a different breed entirely. For one, of you get caught (which you will if you don't have false documents showing it is a Saarloos) in that lie you risk facing additional charges. And secondly, lying to authorities goes against my principals.

Um, wait I take that back.

But generally speaking I am against premeditatively lying to authorities.

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

For once I have SOME good news for you, Martin. Tamaskan is not a recognized breed, so for all intent and purposes it is regarded as a mutt (so never mind the pedigree). The Norwegian authorities will only need proof that the dog doesn't have wolf content in it. Performing the DNA test (by a reputible person such as a lawyer or vet confirming both the taking of the test and the result) should get you home free. BUT, always, always, always keep a verified copy of the result on you. If you should be stopped by the police in Norway, and cannot there and then remove ALL doubt regarding wolf content, they WILL take the Tam, billing you for the "service", until such a time where you can produce proof (I have a good relationship with my lawyer, so I forgo the paper and would just ask the police to call her if I should get pulled over).
A home without a dog
- is just a house

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:15 pm

tigerstedt wrote:For once I have SOME good news for you, Martin. Tamaskan is not a recognized breed, so for all intent and purposes it is regarded as a mutt (so never mind the pedigree). The Norwegian authorities will only need proof that the dog doesn't have wolf content in it. Performing the DNA test (by a reputible person such as a lawyer or vet confirming both the taking of the test and the result) should get you home free. BUT, always, always, always keep a verified copy of the result on you. If you should be stopped by the police in Norway, and cannot there and then remove ALL doubt regarding wolf content, they WILL take the Tam, billing you for the "service", until such a time where you can produce proof (I have a good relationship with my lawyer, so I forgo the paper and would just ask the police to call her if I should get pulled over).
What about our dogs when we visit my parents in Norway?? Do I need these papers just for a visit?

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes, Susann. The rules state that a dog being suspect of being a hybrid may be stopped by the police. If the owner cannot there and then remove all and every doubt, the police will confiscate the dog (for your part, the dogs would not be in any mortal danger. But you would have to pay for transport of the (in eyes of the police, dangerous) dogs back across the boarder).

Stupid but simple.
A home without a dog
- is just a house

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:54 pm

tigerstedt wrote:For once I have SOME good news for you, Martin. Tamaskan is not a recognized breed, so for all intent and purposes it is regarded as a mutt (so never mind the pedigree). The Norwegian authorities will only need proof that the dog doesn't have wolf content in it. Performing the DNA test (by a reputible person such as a lawyer or vet confirming both the taking of the test and the result) should get you home free. BUT, always, always, always keep a verified copy of the result on you. If you should be stopped by the police in Norway, and cannot there and then remove ALL doubt regarding wolf content, they WILL take the Tam, billing you for the "service", until such a time where you can produce proof (I have a good relationship with my lawyer, so I forgo the paper and would just ask the police to call her if I should get pulled over).
That is good news, and makes logical sense. :)

Just wondering: for those who own dogs that DO test positive for wolf content (with the UC Davis test) could it be feasible to obtain a special license to own a wolfdog? I suppose it could be quite expensive and probably has relatively strict requirements, but it might be a good alternative option for those who have no other solution at hand.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
That is good news, and makes logical sense. :)

Just wondering: for those who own dogs that DO test positive for wolf content (with the UC Davis test) could it be feasible to obtain a special license to own a wolfdog? I suppose it could be quite expensive and probably has relatively strict requirements, but it might be a good alternative option for those who have no other solution at hand.
No such special license in Norway... zero tolerance when it comes to other breeds (mixed with wolf) than Saarloos (and Vlcak?)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Hmmm but what about zoos in Norway that have wolves? They must have special 'wildlife' licenses...?
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Hmmm but what about zoos in Norway that have wolves? They must have special 'wildlife' licenses...?
If it's like here you have to have a Zoo education to have a Zoo and only Zoo's and special with the same education can get such licenses..
>> Nino <<

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Nino wrote:If it's like here you have to have a Zoo education to have a Zoo and only Zoo's and special with the same education can get such licenses..
Correct Nino, only stricter. The wolfs are always enclosed and never on leash, inside or outside the enclosure.
A home without a dog
- is just a house

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 am

What's the current status about Tamaskans and Norway?
We are thinking about a trip to this beautiful country but I am very unsure if the customs will let me in with Jack after the results we got into the last weeks... :?
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

you will need to prove that jack has no wolf content and have a pet passport for him. tigersedt lives in norway so it may be worth pm him and ask.

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Happy to help.

Get a DNA test done and keep a copy with you. It is likely you won't get asked at the border, BUT, it is the police that has the authority regarding the dog law, so you may (may) be stopped and asked for proof. The importaint thing is that the Tam is seen as a mutt in Norway (not a czechoslovacian wolfdog, which it resembles. The czec is illegal in Norway, same as a Pitbull). The law states that "all doubt has to be resolved there and then" otherwise the police will take the dog (burden of proof lies with owners). So:

1. Have a pet passport with mandatory vaccinations and microchip information (check the food authorities website in Norway)
2. Have a copy of DNA test (use a Vet to get some authority behind it. Just have him do the DNA swap and sign the return paper/print out)

The chance of getting problems are small, but if stopped, the consiquences may be severe. Better to get out ahead. For a forreigner, worst case is likely that the dog is taken by the police and transported to the nearest terminal (a "service" you have to pay for) and shipped out of the country. No death penalty ;)

If you need some more info, just ask :)
A home without a dog
- is just a house

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 pm

What DNA test did you mean? Only about his DNA profile or such a test about wolf content?
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 pm

The only importaint thing is the wolf content. I used this one http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/Wolf-DogHybrid.php

I had a lawyer watch the swab, and an ER-nurce administer it (good to have friends :D ). I went a little paranoid as my Tam was the first in Norway, so I give my self a little more responsibility as an ambasadour
A home without a dog
- is just a house