Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Despite the exposed distant wolf-content, I still aim for keeping the Tamaskan a dog and still encourage saying "it's a crossbreed" to those who ask. They're not wolves and calling them a wolfdog can still hurt the breed as there are some places where wolfdogs are banned.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Do people think your Tam is a wolf?

Post by akaye531 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

This weekend when I took Mowgli to the dog park, someone commented in a somewhat nasty tone that he looked like a wolf. It felt to me that it was more of an accusation than a comment. He had previously asked what breed he was, and I said he was a mix with mostly husky and german shepherd. Mowgli was playing nicely with his doberman (a little mouthy, but he's a puppy still), but the owner seemed uneasy about them playing. I'm sure many of you have run into similar situations - how do you deal with this?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Do people think your Tam is a wolf?

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, if it's just a comment, i politely correct them. If it's a snarky comment, i will snark back and if they threaten to shoot "that" because "it" shouldn't be out in public, i will threaten to blow up their house...

In short, i will treat the person how they come across. But then again, i don't like people so it may be easier for me then others :D I have a serious hard time dealing with people rationally... something i should work on :oops:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm

I do, but usually they're nice and complimenting how beautiful they are. If they're saying anything snarky, they're doing it far away enough for me not to hear.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

TerriHolt wrote:Well, if it's just a comment, i politely correct them. If it's a snarky comment, i will snark back and if they threaten to shoot "that" because "it" shouldn't be out in public, i will threaten to blow up their house...

In short, i will treat the person how they come across. But then again, i don't like people so it may be easier for me then others :D I have a serious hard time dealing with people rationally... something i should work on :oops:
:lol:
You and I are the same there ;) It's all an eye for an eye in this world :mrgreen:

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm

TerriHolt wrote:In short, i will treat the person how they come across. But then again, i don't like people so it may be easier for me then others :D I have a serious hard time dealing with people rationally... something i should work on :oops:
Sounds like you could teach me a thing or two about asserting myself - I can be a bit of a pushover. In return, I'll give you a lesson on tolerance. ;)
HiTenshi16 wrote:I do, but usually they're nice and complimenting how beautiful they are. If they're saying anything snarky, they're doing it far away enough for me not to hear.
Most comments I get are very positive. That same day there was a guy telling his wife that their next dog needs to be just like Mowgli, and he kept repeating how beautiful he is. :) This was really my first negative experience, and I was a little taken aback! I guess next time I'll just have to have a response ready.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:25 am

Being MORE opposed to wolf-dog breeding than any of Paka & Fable's accusers have ever been has put my girls well above suspicion.

When someone occasionally asks if "they have any wolf in them" I reply "Oh! Heavens no! :shock: My condo association would make us move if we kept wolf-dogs."

If they express any further distrustfulness or uneasiness, I might add, "besides, I think it's cruel and immoral to knowingly breed a domestic creature to a wild one."

While that might be a debatable point in some circles, I hold it as a deep personal conviction. I share it with transparent sincerity and often a very nice conversation follows about what a Tamaskan is.

Most people who seem hostile or angry when seeing what they think looks like a wolf-dog are usually just frightened or nervous. A little reassurance is usually appropriate.

Once or twice, I did go so far as to reply that while they were bred to have a wolfy look to them, they are "UC Davis Certified 100% dog." :lol:

~Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 pm

While not a Tamaskan, my Snoopy has been mistaken for a wolfdog before, once by my own god-brother. Usually I just tell them, "nope he's a 100% domestic dog" or say like "he's a mutt (and describe what an Alusky is)" but if they still insist he's a wolf I would just show them this website:

http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/wolfdogscomparison.htm

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Especially kids seem to mistake huskies and mals for wolves quite easily.
I was in the park nearby yesterday and there was some lady with one husky (piebald) and a husky mix, and there was a family walking in front of them and the (around 7 y/o) son turned around and saw the husky and was all "DADDY!! Turn around, there's a wolf behind you!!!" and even when his father said it's just a husky he kept being convinced that it was a wolf haha. Despite not even having any wolf mask.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

It's mostly ignorant people who think they are wolves. If encountered by a snarky person, I would probably be smart back and say "what a lovely compliment! They are meant to look like wolves and that's all. They are quite friendly." I'm sure whoever you encountered was just jealous / ignorant.

Over and over again this breed has taught something to me. For example: in your case to be more assertive. In Freyja's case most recently, to take everything in stride and accept it as it is. She's currently wearing an e collar and doesn't seem to care! What a great girl! <3
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am

Hawthorne wrote: She's currently wearing an e collar and doesn't seem to care! What a great girl! <3
Freyja is wearing and e collar?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Think she means an Elizabethan collar.
Image Image

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes, a type of Elizabethan collar called a BooBooLoon. It's inflatable.
And no, I would never put a shock collar on my dog unless we were in a situation where it would save his / her life.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I've been spending some time with Kona on walks around our lake - it's a miniature United Nations (which can be fun).
But I've found I've had to learn some more Spanish :lol:

After one child pointed and excitedly looked at his mom, exclaiming "El Lobo!" I realized I had to learn a little more

For the benefit of those of you who may need to share:

"No es un lobo, es un perro. Su nombre es Kona, y su raza se llama Tamaskan."

He's not a wolf, he's a dog. His name is Kona, and his breed is called Tamaskan.

Also, for those with significant Mandarin communities, my poor attempt at a translation.

Zhè bùshì láng, tā shì yī zhǐ gǒu. Tā de míngzì shì kē nà tā de pǐnzhǒng bèi chēng wèi Tamaskan de.

Or

这不是狼,它是一只狗。他的名字是科纳他的品种被称为Tamaskan的。

[Sorry, I don't know the non-simplified glyphs]
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Hahaha no they think Nana is a Malinois, and after I explain she is a Tamaskan a polardogmix, they say aaahhh.
And little Nana stole their hart in the mean time.
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I find kids tend to call Wylie a wolf, especially if he's very wet (which has been a lot recently with all the rains). Adults tend to head towards the Shepherd X and I've had a few CWD X for those who are more interested in the wolf-like breeds. One lady asked if he was part dire-wolf since he looks so much like GreyWind from Game of Thrones :lol:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:27 am

firleymj wrote: Also, for those with significant Mandarin communities, my poor attempt at a translation.

Zhè bùshì láng, tā shì yī zhǐ gǒu. Tā de míngzì shì kē nà tā de pǐnzhǒng bèi chēng wèi Tamaskan de.

Or

Traditional:
這不是狼,它是一隻狗。他的名字是科納他的品種被稱為Tamaskan的。

Or how I romanize them to avoid mispronunciations would be:

Jè bù sher láng, tah sher ī-ju gǒu. Tah de míng zu sher kēr nà tah de pǐn jǒng bèi chēung wèi Tamaskan de.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:28 am

Katlin wrote:I find kids tend to call Wylie a wolf, especially if he's very wet (which has been a lot recently with all the rains). Adults tend to head towards the Shepherd X and I've had a few CWD X for those who are more interested in the wolf-like breeds. One lady asked if he was part dire-wolf since he looks so much like GreyWind from Game of Thrones :lol:
May HE should play as a Dire Wolf in a movie! ;)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Tiantai wrote:
firleymj wrote: Also, for those with significant Mandarin communities, my poor attempt at a translation.

Or

Traditional:
這不是狼,它是一隻狗。他的名字是科納他的品種被稱為Tamaskan的。

Or how I romanize them to avoid mispronunciations would be:

Jè bù sher láng, tah sher ī-ju gǒu. Tah de míng zu sher kēr nà tah de pǐn jǒng bèi chēung wèi Tamaskan de.

Wow! Thanks for the assist

Mark
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

freshbake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by freshbake » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm

I've only gotten that she looks like a wolf twice so far. One of the comments came from a nice lady with a big German Shepard, but it was a friendly comment. Nothing negative so far. For the most part, I get the "what a cute husky!" I'm wondering when she'll start getting more wolf comments than husky as she grows bigger and less husky-looking.

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:23 pm

i even get such comments for my husky, usually its children saying to their parents, "look there´s a wolf", and sometimes very old people ask is that a wolf :D

dcrunkle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dcrunkle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:03 pm

I live in CT where wolf hybrids are not allowed. I take my pup out in public as often as I can to socialize him and I have gotten a wide variety of responses. Luckily all those who have responded with "Is that a WOLF?" have been asking in appreciation and awe. No one has responded with fear, probably in part because he is so well behaved and polite.

However, I do follow my gut instinct. At the farmer's market he is generally known as a GSD Husky cross. I really can't be bothered explaining Tams to someone who has no dog knowledge. And the last thing I want is the state questioning his content. Especially since he does have some of the exposed dogs in his line. So yeah, I take the paranoid route with people I don't know and I am fine with that.

Occasionally, I come across someone who obviously knows dogs, and we talk about Tamaskans and the breed and I get really positive responses.

I do look forward to the day when someone approaches me and asks, "Is that a Tamaskan?" Can't wait for that day.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Yesterday I heard someone say "omg he looks like a wolf" to the person next to him. I think I've become used to balto, as he doesn't seem wolfy to me. Of course most aussies havent seen a wolf before so this could play a part.
Image Image

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm

dcrunkle wrote: I do look forward to the day when someone approaches me and asks, "Is that a Tamaskan?" Can't wait for that day.
One of the most exciting things I've heard was:
New guy at work "what breed is your dog"
Me "tamaskan".
New guy "i thought so"

Lol, its a big deal considering there is only 3 in the country.
Image Image

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:27 pm

When we went to make Kona an official (licensed dog) citizen of Montgomery County, MD, the very kind lady at the Animal Control Unit looked over the counter and said "What a handsome dog! What breed is he?" expecting it to be in the computer menu of options.

I replied "Tamaskan" and she found they weren't in the options available. I simply handed over the papers Ben and Tracy of Hawthorne provided me with his genetic background - and several minutes and some fussing with the equipment later - "Tamaskan" became a possible breed in the database.

In fairness, she was a little puzzled but VERY helpful, and the documentation was beautifully intimidating right when I needed it to be!

Victory to the Tamaskan Liberation Front!

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

There's been a couple of people who've seemed to think Cato is a wolfdog, how do I deal with it? Try not to laugh to hard as I walk away.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Taz wrote:There's been a couple of people who've seemed to think Cato is a wolfdog, how do I deal with it? Try not to laugh to hard as I walk away.
How often do you get that?

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Tiantai wrote:
Taz wrote:There's been a couple of people who've seemed to think Cato is a wolfdog, how do I deal with it? Try not to laugh to hard as I walk away.
How often do you get that?
Only had it a couple of times, once was a woman with a young child, neither appeared concerned, the other was a lad probably early teens, his mate was quick to correct his error.
The best one was a man, who when we got close enough to speak commented that at a distance he'd thought Cato was a lion, and was starting to panic, Lol.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:09 am

Then you should probably teach Cato how to "roar" :lol:

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Hawthorne wrote:. I work at the PA Game Commission (wildlife agency). Our law enforcement guys deal with the seizure of wolf hybrids quite a bit and they could identify by sight and behavior that Darwin is not a wolf.

Speaking of the PA Game Commission....

A pretty white SUV with "GAME COMMISSION" plastered over the hood pulled into my driveway last week, rather late in the evening. The officer came to investigate my "wolves". "Someone" had reported their age and size right, but once we took him to the kennel to see them he knew right away they weren't wolves.

Apparently "someone" in the neighborhood reported us for having wolves. Must have seen us walking them, 'cause we're so far back in the boonies it would be darn near impossible to see them from the road.

Congrats Hawthorne, you guys train your officers VERY well. He was polite and delightfully interested in the Tams. We offered him to come back in the daylight to see them better and he said he'd prolly take us up on the offer. Nice guy.
Personal Responsibility. Get it. Use it.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 am

Are you accusing me of telling our officers to investigate you? I hope you aren't. I wouldn't waste my time. Besides, I was the one who warned you against using the term "wolf dog" because of the grief it could cause you.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 am

blackthumb wrote: Apparently "someone" in the neighborhood reported us for having wolves. Must have seen us walking them, 'cause we're so far back in the boonies it would be darn near impossible to see them from the road.
Unless Hawthorne, or anybody else of this forum, lives in her neighborhood... I think she is referring to somebody else ;)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Karen wrote:
blackthumb wrote: Apparently "someone" in the neighborhood reported us for having wolves. Must have seen us walking them, 'cause we're so far back in the boonies it would be darn near impossible to see them from the road.
Unless Hawthorne, or anybody else of this forum, lives in her neighborhood... I think she is referring to somebody else ;)
They live about 20 minutes from me.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Are you accusing me of telling our officers to investigate you? I hope you aren't. I wouldn't waste my time. Besides, I was the one who warned you against using the term "wolf dog" because of the grief it could cause you.
Oh my goodness no - where would you get that idea? I was simply posting my experience with folks thinking the pups were wolves.

I don't remember you warning me about anything, especially using the term "wolf dog" - which by the way, I never have as they're NOT wolf-dogs.

Actually, no accusation was made about anything, and if you read my post again, perhaps more slowly, you'll see that I was COMPLEMENTING the PA Game Commission on their professionalism.

Why the antagonism?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 pm

What kind of dogs do you have exactly? I wasn't aware you owned Tamaskans.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Karen wrote:
They live about 20 minutes from me.
Actually, I live at the top of a mountain and it takes me at least 20 minutes to get OFF the mountain.. Unless you live in Waynesboro or Chambersburg, you've got to be more than 20 minutes away.

I thought you lived in the York/Harrisburg area, that's over an hour from me.

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Katlin wrote:What kind of dogs do you have exactly? I wasn't aware you owned Tamaskans.

Two male Tams, Loki and Hank, they're brothers. Hank is sort of a rescue as he was returned to the breeder - apparently he was "hard to handle". How is a 12-week old pup "hard to handle"? Their loss = a wonderful new family member for us!

Loki is my avatar. Just figured out how to post his pix yesterday. I've got a bit of age, and I'm not as computer saavy as I'd like to be.

We also have a farm dog, "Cash", she's Sheltie x Boxer x Lab mix - smartest darn dog we've ever had, and she's done a wonderful job of helping to train the pups. Learning by example, I guess.

We had a Great Pyrenees - Nanuq - she was around 12 or so, curled up and went to sleep one night last month and never woke up. I'm glad she went peacefully, she deserved every good thing life had to give her as she guarded our children, property and stock steadfastly for many years.

I miss her every day.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Oh goodness. Well I'm happy that we straightened this out. Sorry for the confusion. I also thought you were the breeder that is 20 minutes from me--different folks! Oopsie.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Hahaha glad that's cleared up! You have dogs from Kevin, yes?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Katlin wrote:Hahaha glad that's cleared up! You have dogs from Kevin, yes?
No, we got ours from folks in the Baltimore, MD area, not sure where they got theirs from originally.

I believe Kevin had arranged to breed one of his to their bitch, but I don't think that worked out - they didn't have too many nice things to say about Kevin.

blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackthumb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Oh goodness. Well I'm happy that we straightened this out. Sorry for the confusion. I also thought you were the breeder that is 20 minutes from me--different folks! Oopsie.

No problem...life if FULL of Oopsies!!!!! :lol: