Coat Length

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Coat Length

Post by wen » Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I have a question...
I've seen the dog named "Blustag Dakota Buffalo" and he seems to have a very long fur or is it just an impression ?
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Coat Length

Post by blufawn » Thu May 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Yes he does have a longer than average coat but it looks much thicker in the picture as he has his big Finnish winter coat on.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Personally I'd like to see Tam's with a slightly longer thicker coat, more wolf like I think. Perhaps that's just me LOL.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Wed May 25, 2011 6:06 pm

i like how full the tam coat looks in winter :) thats my favorite time to see time pics

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Blustag Dakota Buffalo been bred at all? I haven't seen a coat like this on any other tamaskan.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Sadly Denver has not been bred, I think that he believes himself to be a girl ;)
The hope was that puppies from Denver would have better coats (perhaps not as long as Denvers, but somewhere in the middle)
Sylka at Blustag also has a similar coat, this is his mother.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 pm

blufawn wrote:Sadly Denver has not been bred, I think that he believes himself to be a girl ;)
The hope was that puppies from Denver would have better coats (perhaps not as long as Denvers, but somewhere in the middle)
Sylka at Blustag also has a similar coat, this is his mother.

Hehe, it's that long flowing coat :lol: :lol:

Well maybe he just isn't ready or hasn't found the right girl?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Nothing a turkey baster can't fix. haha. just kidding of course.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 am

I liked Denver, he's very handsome :)
It would be nice to have a slightly longer coat on the Tamaskan. I think Winni and her sister Tarla also have a bit longer coat :?:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Darwin's coat is certainly longer than Freyja's. But he's only 7 months old--maybe it'll change?
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sammi58
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sammi58 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 pm

So does that mean you guys we're unable to bred him in general cause he wouldnt mate with the females or something?

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Denver is a perfect gentleman lol... if a female so much as sneezes it put him off ;) He is also extremely playful and still behaves like a puppy :lol:

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:52 am

I would really love to see Tamaskans developing a longer coat, too...
Wolves seem to have really plushie fur, and I think it would really add to the wolfy look within the breed.
I think this might be a RPK dog, but I really like the fur lengh here:
http://sarahwaterraven.deviantart.com/a ... -280763347

I alos -love- this guy, although his fur is probably too long:
http://snozz-the-woo.deviantart.com/art ... -349797044

I think longer fur would also cover the issue of the ears seeming too big, as they would halfway hide away in it :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:21 am

Tatzel wrote:I would really love to see Tamaskans developing a longer coat, too...
Wolves seem to have really plushie fur, and I think it would really add to the wolfy look within the breed.

I think longer fur would also cover the issue of the ears seeming too big, as they would halfway hide away in it :)

My Zephyr has the same coat length as the dog in the top photo, I live in a colder than average place and he spends loads of time outside.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 am

Tatzel wrote:I would really love to see Tamaskans developing a longer coat, too...

(Pretty positive the top link is an RPK dog) Ulric's fur gets that long as well, looks great when it is plush, been a warm winter though so his coat is not as plush. The second link is a Blufawn pup from her last Country Singers litter.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 pm

I think a lot of dogs would look like the top picture if they lives somewhere colder. As much as i like the wolfy looking coats, i don't think i'd wish them on dogs in the hotter climates... As it is, they shed accordingly and have the right amount of fur for the climate...
Like all the sub species of wolves i guess... The ones where it is hot have thinner coats while the ones in colder places have the coats most associated with wolves, the thicker, plushier coats...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Ravi has a very thick plushie coat in winter and summer, we have a average climate here not to cold and not to hot
this is his summercoat: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m272 ... a3725b.jpg

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:38 pm

It is really not a matter of the length of the coats but the fullness/bushieness of the undercoat making the coat look much more plushy and thick. If eg. I look at my Tamaskan, her coat is actually fairly long (not too long) but she, specially now she has lost a lot of her undercoat, looks not very plushy at all.
I do think this has something to do with using "bad" coated dogs in back when the foundation to the Tamaskan was laid, but not only this, it has also something to do with our dogs spending a lot of time indoor in our well heated homes all year round.
If we added more dogs with perfect coating like that of good malamutes and huskies there would be a higher chance of thicker coats, like in Ravi who is half siberian husky. But we would on the other hand also have to deal with some other problems that the larger amount of husky/malamute would create, which are problems a lot of owners are dealing with now because the sibe content is too high or the dogs used to breed in the past is too poorly chosen..
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I like the coats on the Nanna pups (Ravi and Zephyr) and also some Alba dogs (from Odin) seem to have nice thick coats.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:29 am

I don't like the really long coats, if I see that I think "Malamute" not "wolf", but that is probably a matter of opinion. I like the coats from Dingo/Tumanra/Jodie/Bodie/Zuuk/Mila etc. with bushy tail en thick hair in the neck, shorter on the rest of the body. Mila for example can stand cold temperatures and during the summer she is also active.

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 pm

I'd personally like to see tams with a plushier coat, but I'm not sure if its genetics or climate that matters most. Considering most tams I've seen pics of in the US tend to have sleeker coats than their UK relatives. Could making the coat denser rather than longer be a good idea?

How would we even start to do that? What breeds would be good for that certain trait as a outcross? lol

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Wolves have higher coat density than dog breeds, I have seen some statistics, but I cannot find it now, I think they might have been done by the Hartl team around Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs. (Some unlucky soul counting the number of hairs per square centimeter... :D ) Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs seem to have inherited this trait, still having higher coat density than other dog breeds, but lower than wolves.

But I can see differences in CSW coat quality, length, structure... some look like show huskies, with thick fur standing up all over their body, no great difference in length in different parts of their body.
Some have wavy hair, some have extremely short hair, some have their fur standing up, some have it laying down like wolves have it, some have it more rough, some have it soft, lots of undercoat, very little of it, and all this can and often does change during their life, and between seasons.
Some even have the long coat variant of the gene inherited from GSDs.

Some shed only when changing seasonal coats, some shed almost continually. Very old dogs even stop changing their seasonal coats.

I'm writing this here, because some Tamaskans have CSW in them and there has been an attempt to use them as an outcross. I think this goes back to the discussion what kind of wolf is the Tamaskan supposed to look like:]
CSWs are supposed to look like Canis Lupus Lupus, but I think the show ring supports the tendency towards show-husky kind of coat - big and fluffy all year round, one that can win shows all the time, without having the inconvenience of light less fluffy coat in summer...
Is the Tamaskan coat supposed only to look like a wolves' or will it be required to have the wolfish functionality as well?

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 am

I think the density of the coat really does add to how "wolfy" any given tamaskan looks. To me, even if a dog has the right markings and structure, it still doesn't quite look wolfy without having the same kind of coat density. Dogs will almost always shed or gain coat depending on the climate they live in, but I don't think that should really prevent the overall look of the tamaskan to have a denser coat like wolves do. I've seen plenty of huskies and malamutes here in the summer with thick fluffy coats (which I'm sure are even thicker in the winter).
-Crystal