Height?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Emielle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Height?

Post by Emielle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:10 pm

I know there's quite a bit of variation in the height of Tams today, from Nanuq to Vixen and probably more dramatic differences that I don't know about. It got me wondering - after breeding out curly tails, getting smaller, rounder, better furred ears, and correcting all the other issues we're working on - what sort of height range will be aimed for?

If you take Grey Wolves, they range from around 32" to 34", and to me that sounds fantastic. I love big dogs - generally the bigger the better - but having never met a Tam in the flesh, I don't really know how they compare to that now, or how breeders want them to be in five, ten, twenty years.

So essentially what I'm asking is;
  • Anyone know a vague average height for Tams these days?
    Anyone know what sort of height is being aimed for in the future?
:]
Email: emielleface@gmail.com

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Height?

Post by Blustag » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I like big dogs but we are not breeding wolves lol... A good height for a female is 26" and for a male 29". Of course this is just my opinion and a guide. There is quite a difference at the moment between 'some' Tamaskan but on the whole they are pretty much even heights between the boys and girls the boys being slightly larger of course. Yes Nanuq is 'large' :D and Vixen is as small as you would get but look what she produced :lol: I think anything over 26" 27" for a female would be too big and between 27" and 30" is good for a male.

Emielle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Emielle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Haha, true!
That sounds lovely, to be honest. Thanks for the info.
Email: emielleface@gmail.com

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 pm

I'll have to measure our two again, but I have noticed something different between Darwin & Freyja. Both dogs are within the height range that Lynn suggests for males and females. But maybe due to Darwin's bulkier frame it appears that his legs are shorter than Freyja's. (an illusion, I know)
I do like the long and tall appearance that Freyja possesses. Maybe Darwin will gain a little height as he is 11 months...but I think he may be done growing in height.
I'm not suggesting that the male's frame is too bulky. I actually like that very much. It just sort of looks to me that Darwin should be taller. He is big: 82 pounds :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RCPaws » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:13 am

I think this is a really interesting discussion. I know my other dogs have continued to grow until they are older. My beauceron even grew until he was 5. He finished mostly at 3, but then had another growth spurt again at 5. I measured him when he was doing dog shows and he was at 26" at 18 months. Then at 3 yrs he was 27 1/2" and now he is 28" at almost 6 yrs.

I find it interesting that people think dogs are stopping growing before 2 yrs of age before growth plates are not even closed yet. No matter the breed. I have owned various breeds and none of them stopped growing till two yrs of age (large breeds).

RC Paws
Montana

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 am

Just as a "fun"-fact Sølve haven't grown any since around 10 months of age - which I find a bit strange since she is now soon to be 1,5 years old.. But I guess some dogs are just like that you know.. She isn't easy to put on weight either being aroud 25-26 (26 last week) since then too... Sigh
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 am

Sam is 1 and he is 27 1/2 inch... ish... stood on back feets he is taller than me :oops:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Wow, Tams are big! I like big dogs too;] My friend used to have a Leonberger, a dog of his size changes the whole family:] Where did Tams get to be so big? I thought Malamutes and Huskies are a lot smaller :shock: How much do they weigh, on average?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Czertice wrote:Wow, Tams are big! I like big dogs too;] My friend used to have a Leonberger, a dog of his size changes the whole family:] Where did Tams get to be so big? I thought Malamutes and Huskies are a lot smaller :shock: How much do they weigh, on average?
I though Malamutes were large? At least I saw a couple that were huge, maybe it's just all that fur that made them seem so big to me :oops:
I think they get some of the size from the German Shepherd in the distant lines from the Northern Inuit?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Malamutes ARE large dogs but normally preferred male height is around 25 inches (64 cm - which is the size of my Tamaskan female). But there will always be dogs that are too little or too big compared to the standard - selecting for the big individuals (as many does in the Tamaskan breed) will make the general size bigger..
Though I think no dog is the size of Nanuq vom Münsterland..

The DKK (Danish Kennel Club) male my God father owns (before he was neutered he was approved for breeding inside DKK) is a bit bigger than my girl Sølve (tam) though.. so there are bigger individuals that still fit the standard..
German Shepherd is between 22 and 26 inches (55 and 65 centimetres) so these too aren't as big as Tamaskans..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Nino wrote:Malamutes ARE large dogs but normally preferred male height is around 25 inches (64 cm - which is the size of my Tamaskan female). But there will always be dogs that are too little or too big compared to the standard - selecting for the big individuals (as many does in the Tamaskan breed) will make the general size bigger..
Though I think no dog is the size of Nanuq vom Münsterland..

The DKK (Danish Kennel Club) male my God father owns (before he was neutered he was approved for breeding inside DKK) is a bit bigger than my girl Sølve (tam) though.. so there are bigger individuals that still fit the standard..
German Shepherd is between 22 and 26 inches (55 and 65 centimetres) so these too aren't as big as Tamaskans..
I had a German Shepherd that was 29 inches tall. She was 110 pounds and I got her from the a police dog breeder after her officer died in the line of duty when she was 8 weeks old. Her parents papers were in German cause they had been imported. She didn't have that nasty low back end either... wonder if there was a big shepherd that gave tamaskan it's size?

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 am

I see. I met only one malamute closely and the owner told me he is way overgrown. My dog is on the left, 63 cm. You have to count out the fur, he had lots of it, standing:)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

I think there are still large varieties within the breed when it comes to size. There are certain lines that seem to have given smaller dogs (some Alba lines), while others have given very large dogs (Muensterland). To me ideally they should be around the same size as the Saarloos Wolfdog, that would be a bit bigger then the German Shepherd.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

I wouldn't mind if Vixen were a bit larger but when mated to a large male she did produce very big puppies - in fact, the male pups all have Jasper's height but Vixen's chunkier bodyshape (so they actually weigh more than Jasper and are 'bigger' dogs overall, as Jasper is still quite tall and lanky). As long as we continue to mate small chunky dogs from one bloodline to tall lanky dogs from another bloodline, the resulting offspring will become more consistent in size over subsequent generations. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 pm

we could risk up getting small thin dogs too though haha ;)
>> Nino <<

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Is there a link between age of Neutering and Height. Was speaking to a Vet today around this and he mentioned that in large breed dogs, getting them done before they have fully matured can cause them to stop growing. Ever heard of this?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I have heard this yes..

That early spray/neutering can cause the dog to be bigger than it normally would, caused by - if I remember correctly - the growth hormones not working naturally..
I think there was something about the bone density too, that the bones aren't as strong in the early sprayed/neutered dogs causing that their bones might break easier than their non sprayed counter parts..
But I believe this wasn't conclusive.
>> Nino <<

Cakesandcats
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cakesandcats » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Nino wrote:I have heard this yes..

That early spray/neutering can cause the dog to be bigger than it normally would, caused by - if I remember correctly - the growth hormones not working naturally..
I think there was something about the bone density too, that the bones aren't as strong in the early sprayed/neutered dogs causing that their bones might break easier than their non sprayed counter parts..
But I believe this wasn't conclusive.
I've not heard of this in dogs, but there's a big debate about Maine coons (who are big cats) about the effect neutering has on size.... and I've heard different breeders say that neutering before 6-8 months makes them small... or large and that early neutering can affect bone density.... From the research I've done into this in cats, and from my own experience with my brood, it doesn't actually seem to make a difference. One of my biggest Maine coons (Hodges - the red cat who is my husband Sion's avatar) was neutered at 5 months, and he's bigger than his litter brother (Archie who is my avatar) who was neutered on the same day, he's chunkier that Albie who was neutered at 14 months but smaller that Rufus who was neutered at nearly 18 months.... so I'm pretty sure that it's more to do with genetics that age of neutering....