Crate covers?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Crate covers?

Post by jyotin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am

I'd like to know everyone's opinion on whether to get a crate cover or not, something similar to this link:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type

I know with Odin he seemed a lot more relaxed when we'd throw a blanket over his crate..but with crate training, when he wanted out he would manage to pull the blanket in through the crate and rip it apart LOL...so I stopped putting the blanket over as I was concerned that he may eat whatever he ripped apart.

Do you think this crate cover would be a better solution for our new puppy? Or do you think he'd be able to rip it apart just as easily as throw blanket?

It is a bit pricey so I wanted to see if you all thought it is a waste of money or not.

Thanks!
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Crate covers?

Post by WhiteElkStag » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 am

Using a crate cover didn't seem to help Sophie with crate training at all. If we were in the house, she wanted to be with us and anything that was in the way needed to be destroyed. She couldn't quite destroy the crate, but anything we used as a crate cover ended up in shreds. Eventually what we did was place the crate close to wherever we were and over the course of a few weeks we slowly moved it further and further away from us. She still isn't perfect in the crates, but has gotten much better. We also found that switching from a metal mesh crate to an airline crate helped her to calm down a great deal. A bit more pricey than a crate cover, but same sort of effect... and not quite as easy to destroy.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Sounds like a waste of money to me, at least. You could prob buy 10 blankets for that price.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm

I bought a crate cover when we got Tala, she destroyed it the first time she was left!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 am

I certainly wouldnt bother with a cover as if puppy chews cloth he could possibly choke or worse! Also it can get quite heated inside if there is a cover over it. Puppy needs to see out all around.

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Sophie destroyed all of our makeshift crate covers, and didn't seem to get much improvement in her feelings about the crate when they were intact. If it is physically possible (and sometimes even if it's not), she found a way to pull part of it into the crate with her & chew it up.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:26 pm

What you can do is to put the crate in a corner somewhere and put a piece of plywood on the top of it. Glue some carpet to it and then you have not only a roof but also a platform for pup to jump up onto once it is grown some. They love to be up high. This will give pup some privacy with the roof on and the wall behind also screening. IF you must enclose then the thing to do is to use some thin ply for the sides leaving the front open. You can detach the sides anytime you wish if you do it properly ;) This way nothing can be chewed/destroyed and all is safe.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm

I wouldn't spend the money, looks like there are some good suggestions here.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try some of the suggestions here if needed...and it did seem like a waste of money, just wanted to make sure =) The reviews on petsmart aren't always very helpful..or truthful at that.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:26 am

I know many people might consider it a waste of money, but since our Paka (due this winter) will have her crate in a prominent place in our home, I wanted it to look nice.

I ordered this:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1K00

I'll let you know how it works out.

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 am

AngieH wrote:I know many people might consider it a waste of money, but since our Paka (due this winter) will have her crate in a prominent place in our home, I wanted it to look nice.

I ordered this:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1K00

I'll let you know how it works out.

-Angie

Haha that's actually sorta cool! Paka eh? Nice name!

Good luck jyotin
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am

Now thats different :D BUT dogs cant jump up on top of it :lol:

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

I like that. We used to have a bit of plywood and a cover on top of one of the crates to use as a table, but this is much nicer. We've stacked them one on top of the other now to save space, so it would be too high. Nice idea though :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Boreal wrote:Haha that's actually sorta cool! Paka eh? Nice name!

Good luck jyotin
When he was a boy, my husband used to play that he was a Native American boy with a pet wolf named "Paka." So our girl has had a name waiting for her for over 40 years! :lol:
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:15 pm

AngieH wrote:When he was a boy, my husband used to play that he was a Native American boy with a pet wolf named "Paka." So our girl has had a name waiting for her for over 40 years! :lol:
aww, thats kinda nice :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 pm

I have my wired crate in a corner under a corner table that I have delegated for looking out over the yard and Lake Superior.

I have had a handful of blankets shredded from covering dogs crates. Not to mention that cover will only look that nice for a little while...specially the inside unless your washing it weekly.

CesarMillan56
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CesarMillan56 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:34 am

Please suggest me. Crate covers used for dog is good or not?

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:57 am

Ours seemed to like a big towel thrown over the top during the night but then as she got older she would pull the sheet or towel through the crate and then lie on it so we stopped using it.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm

I have a wire crate for my lab. I just use a medium weight bedsheet (or towels) to cover it up - she likes it dark in there. Whenever I have to wash it, she gets uncomfortable because her 'den' is exposed. lol.

There are times when it helps if I have guests at the house, I cover her crate completely so she can't see what's going on outside her crate - she doesn't make as much of a fuss. I'd suggest trying it out with a crate cover to see how your dog reacts (supervised, if possible).