Nails--How short is too short

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Nails--How short is too short

Post by Katlin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:06 pm

As many know I work at a vet clinic, as part of the boarding package dogs get a free nail trim. I do several a week so I've gotten pretty good. One lady told me to quick her dog (hit the fleshy blood-flow area) on every nail. She explained that she believed her dogs' quicks were much too long so if you quick them they recede. I took a look around and this is true. I didn't quick her dog even once, this seemed unnecessary and rather mean!

When a black nail is trimmed to the proper length you should be able to see the quick (a black fleshy dot) in the middle of the nail but NEVER hit it. White nails are obvious :P

My question is would anyone agree with "quicking" their dog just because the nails were too long?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Nails--How short is too short

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:19 pm

I think if the nails are FAR too long, then they should be quicked but ONLY under sedation!! And with permanganate handy to stop the bleeding. (Therefore, it should definitely ONLY be done by a vet or under professional supervision!)

I would NEVER quick an 'awake' dog because it is very painful and will traumatize them so they won't want their nails cutting in the future, which is a vicious cycle as then the nails will grow too long again. The best solution would be to keep nails trimmed regularly, starting during puppyhood, so that they never get to be such a problem in the first place! ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm

That sounds horrible! I know our dog suffer a lot when we accidentally hit the quick. I can't imagine doing that on purpose! Just sounds cruel.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Sylvaen wrote:I would NEVER quick an 'awake' dog because it is very painful and will traumatize them so they won't want their nails cutting in the future, which is a vicious cycle as then the nails will grow too long again. The best solution would be to keep nails trimmed regularly, starting during puppyhood, so that they never get to be such a problem in the first place! ;)
I told her to come in a bit more often for boarding/daycare and I'd just do the nails. We have many types of coagulants handy because mistakes do happen :oops: but I the quicks were NOT even CLOSE to to long, the nails were but I cut off about 7mm-1cm per nail (yeck). Her dog literally fell asleep whilst I was trimming...I don't think she should have a problem keeping them trimmed after I told her about it haha (she didn't have much confidence)!

Snoopy takes 3 people to cut his nails but we do it once a week without fail.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:26 pm

I have been told that filing the nails is the best way to go for those who have a habit of bleeding, cant say I have ever had the problem myself, but an old breeder of Goldies that I used to work for had an electric filer that got the job done in no time.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Several lifetimes ago, I used to work at a vet's office. They would quick the show dogs under anesthetic. Seemed harmless enough until a dog came back with infected nails. :shock: The poor dog could hardly walk. I watched the vet squeeze the puss out of the nails. The dog was howling. I could never do that after witnessing what that poor dog went through. :(

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:32 pm

i have never cut nails for that reason. i got brave one day and bought some clippers but never used them :oops: ...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 pm

TerriHolt wrote:i have never cut nails for that reason. i got brave one day and bought some clippers but never used them :oops: ...
just practice ;)

start at the ends and only take off a little bit, then work your way down - you need to cut quite far down to actually hit the wick / quick. You'll soon know what to look for and get the hang of it in no time.

It is a good idea to regularly trim your dog's nails to keep them from getting too long (otherwise they WILL have to be quicked because excessively long nails can get in the way) and also to get the pup used to being handed and comfortable having his nails cut - it is NO fun wrestling with a scared dog, let alone a large adult!!

If you regularly walk / run on concrete, that helps to file the nails down too... then you just need to worry about keeping the front dewclaws trimmed. ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
If you regularly walk / run on concrete, that helps to file the nails down too... then you just need to worry about keeping the front dewclaws trimmed. ;)
i been thinking bout those lately... could i file them down??? i have scars on scars... or as i like to call them, doggie tattoos :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

yep, you can definitely use a nail-file as Jennie mentioned in her post. :)

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 pm

I agree with what's been said so far.

If the nails are let to grow super long for a long time then yes, the quick will advance. And cutting the quick is the only way to quickly correct it. But it should NEVER be done while the dog is awake. It'd be like cutting off your fingernail & the nail bed. The dog will never let you near their feet again. And it should be followed up with strong antibiotics & wrappings to prevent infection.

It's best to not touch the quick when trimming their nails. Give it about 4 milimeters of nail in front of it to be safe. If you want to keep their nails short, cut them every two weeks or so to about the aforementioned length. With my girls, I trim every two weeks, and touch each nail with the clippers (not cutting) every week.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 am

I cut Odin's nails a few times...and never had a problem until one day i accidentally cut the quick on one nail. The yelp that he made was SO full of pain, my family came running downstairs because he yelped so loud and the sound he made was so worrisome to hear. After that I never cut his nails again and always took him to a professional....so NO definitely NO NEVER EVER cut the quick unless you for some reason have to...and DEFINITELY using sedation. I felt bad for a week couldn't look him in the eye :oops:
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

I hate cutting nails.. I've made Sølve bleed a couple of times..

I was actually happy when she was digging a lot cause it held her nails at a good length but now.. I can see them getting long and it scares me a little cause she hates it as more than I do :?
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:15 am

That is horrible pain for a dog to endure, I could never do that to a dog purposefully.

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:20 am

Cut your own nail down way low & see how that feels before you perform such on your poor lil' dog!

wyatt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by wyatt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

We're lucky, I don't have to clip Wyatt's nails...he bites them. In 3 years I've attempted nail trimming 3 times on Wyatt and it's ended in blood every time because most of his nails are already so short.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:05 pm

wyatt wrote:We're lucky, I don't have to clip Wyatt's nails...he bites them. In 3 years I've attempted nail trimming 3 times on Wyatt and it's ended in blood every time because most of his nails are already so short.
I know a couple dogs like that *jealous* Snoopy keeps his nice and long so I have to muzzle and pin him down to get the nails trimmed. He's getting better but it sure would be nice if he kept them a bit shorter.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:50 pm

I usually never have to trim the nails of my dogs.. They just stay short. I only have to trim the nails on the inside of the back paws of my dog who has HD (not a Tamaskan), because he walks bad. And I did have to trim the nails of Mila my Tamaskan one time at her right back paw, because there was something wrong with it. But it got better, because they don't have to be trimmed any more and wear down now themselves.

Why would somebody want to 'quick' their dog? If I understand it correctly, it is cutting off the nail bed? That seems horrible to me!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 am

Gaby wrote:
Why would somebody want to 'quick' their dog? If I understand it correctly, it is cutting off the nail bed? That seems horrible to me!
No what it is is cutting the blood vessel inside of the nail by cutting the nail too short. It hurts really bad :(

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 am

When I was a kid, my mom cut the dogs' nails...for obvious reasons. She hit the quick too often because our pekingese had black nails and she didn't think about filing them down either. I was traumatized as a kid so I get nervous when cutting my dog's nails now. Would I ever recommend clipping to the quick? Never...sorry, but I think that's cruel.

Since I get nervous when trimming my dog's nails, I usually start off by giving my dog a massage as it helps calm both of us down. Then I just trim off small portions of each nail as I'm comfortable doing and then taking a human nail filer (haha) and filing it down - this also helps save the wood floors as the edges of the cut nails are rounded off and smooth instead of all rough. I don't get scratched as bad when my silly girl is batting me with her paws when I come home. :lol:

I also stop the nail trim session if she starts getting fidgitey or just pulling away every time I reach for a paw...or when she starts yawning at me. I usually can't tell if I'm somewhat nervous, but Abby picks up on it and yawns to tell me to calm the crap down. XD

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 am

Just a quick tip for cutting dogs nails. Pick up their foot from behind so you can see both their pad and nails. Support the nail without pushing it up too high. Clip the nail to pad length. Unless they have very long quicks you won't make them bleed/ hurt them.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Just a quick tip for cutting dogs nails. Pick up their foot from behind so you can see both their pad and nails. Support the nail without pushing it up too high. Clip the nail to pad length. Unless they have very long quicks you won't make them bleed/ hurt them.
:shock: :shock: :o I've cut hundreds of nails and I don't think a single one has ever been "to the pad". I would NEVER use the pad as a reference point. You just have to shave off silvers and keep your eye out for the quick (for black nails) or just look for the quick on the side of the nail (for white/brown nails).
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Convel wrote: :shock: :shock: :o I've cut hundreds of nails and I don't think a single one has ever been "to the pad". I would NEVER use the pad as a reference point. You just have to shave off silvers and keep your eye out for the quick (for black nails) or just look for the quick on the side of the nail (for white/brown nails).
Um.... I think *this* might be what was meant by "clip to pad length"

http://pugman.com/Pug%20Information/Nail%20Clipping.htm

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:42 pm

AngieH wrote:
Convel wrote: :shock: :shock: :o I've cut hundreds of nails and I don't think a single one has ever been "to the pad". I would NEVER use the pad as a reference point. You just have to shave off silvers and keep your eye out for the quick (for black nails) or just look for the quick on the side of the nail (for white/brown nails).
Um.... I think *this* might be what was meant by "clip to pad length"

-Angie

thats what i thought too... :?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:57 pm

The long hyponychium can be shortened by constant clipping of the outter areas of the nail but it's best to avoid touching those sensitive areas altogether. Most dogs with pink paws can be clipped without fear due to the hyponychium being visible but the ones with black nails require a flash light held from underneath in order to see. Often you might want to just clip off the lower sharp end but don't cut too deep. Constant outdoor walks on concretes and rocky fields diminish the necessarily amounts of clipping as the dog walks on it the bottom most outer layer chips off little bits of the nail

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:black nails require a flash light held from underneath in order to see.
I've never had this work, the black nails are opaque, so this doesn't work.
AngieH wrote: Um.... I think *this* might be what was meant by "clip to pad length"

-Angie
Even this is something I would say is incorrect, this is still much too long, I've put a red line to where I would cut...cutting off the tip and then small slivers until you get to this point. Once you do it enough it's really easy to tell where you are but it takes many many hours of practice.
Nail_Diagram1.jpg
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:13 am

Convel wrote:
fangjingtuanlucas wrote:black nails require a flash light held from underneath in order to see.
It worked on Boxer (the pug) when I shined his dark nails long ago with a small yellow flashlight. The yellow lights went right through the black nails revealing the hyponychium so I figured out where it was and avoided it. Might not work on some breeds but it did on the pug. Sometimes what seems opaque isn't 100%, know the old saying, looks can be deceiving ;)

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Just bought a rotating nail file from Poundstretcher today for the grand total of £2.99! Was expecting it to be rubbish but it's actually not bad. Fairly quiet, strong enough to grind down thick claws and much easier than clipping. Still not sure where to stop at on the dark claws but taking off too little is far better than taking off too much! Not had an over-clipping accident yet and don't plan to!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 am

Yeh grinders are pretty good. Remember to lift them off the nail regularly to stop it from burning.
Image Image

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 am

Katlin wrote:
Kyliedelonge wrote:Just a quick tip for cutting dogs nails. Pick up their foot from behind so you can see both their pad and nails. Support the nail without pushing it up too high. Clip the nail to pad length. Unless they have very long quicks you won't make them bleed/ hurt them.
:shock: :shock: :o I've cut hundreds of nails and I don't think a single one has ever been "to the pad". I would NEVER use the pad as a reference point. You just have to shave off silvers and keep your eye out for the quick (for black nails) or just look for the quick on the side of the nail (for white/brown nails).
*forgot to reply to this*
I didn't mean to the actual nail pad, but the level of the pad.
Image Image

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am

I thought Sølve's nails were quite long, but it turns out when we went to the vet last time, the only nail she had cut was her front dew claw - not claws as the one was already as it should be (broken of at some point it seemed)
>> Nino <<

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nikola1985Ghaeltacht » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Katlin wrote:As many know I work at a vet clinic, as part of the boarding package dogs get a free nail trim. I do several a week so I've gotten pretty good. One lady told me to quick her dog (hit the fleshy blood-flow area) on every nail. She explained that she believed her dogs' quicks were much too long so if you quick them they recede. I took a look around and this is true. I didn't quick her dog even once, this seemed unnecessary and rather mean!

When a black nail is trimmed to the proper length you should be able to see the quick (a black fleshy dot) in the middle of the nail but NEVER hit it. White nails are obvious :P

My question is would anyone agree with "quicking" their dog just because the nails were too long?
My toes and fingers feel pretty weird just reading this :shock:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 am

I used to work at a grooming salon in a pet store and we'd use both clippers and grinders (depending on what the owner wanted) to trim their nails. Accidents happen sometimes and you cut the quick. Make sure to have coagulant on hand just in case, and it'll stop the bleeding pretty quickly. In general, I prefer grinders to clippers, as you can go a little bit at a time and it's much more difficult to cut the quick (plus you can round out the nail easier so it's not sharp).
-Crystal

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm

darazan wrote:I used to work at a grooming salon in a pet store and we'd use both clippers and grinders (depending on what the owner wanted) to trim their nails. Accidents happen sometimes and you cut the quick. Make sure to have coagulant on hand just in case, and it'll stop the bleeding pretty quickly. In general, I prefer grinders to clippers, as you can go a little bit at a time and it's much more difficult to cut the quick (plus you can round out the nail easier so it's not sharp).
I've accidentally clipped Buddy's twice when he was alive. Eversince the first time, I would either clip it in the kitchen where I could quickly grab the corn starch and bowl in the winter or do it with a small bowl of it in the backyard in the summer.

On a side note:
In the wild, wolves, coyotes, dingoes, and jackals often run on hard surfaces which slowly scratches some of the sharp ends off the front of their nails. Although in the zoos, sometimes the caretakers have to clip them. With these exotic animals though it is very hard to do as they must learn to get use to it at puppyhood and would only trust that ONE person they remember that did it painlessly. Otherwise, they would have to be sedated.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:11 am

Woohoo! I cut Sam's nails :D (except his dew claws, they are pretty dark :oops: )... It took half a day but i did it :D (he didn't like it and kept snatching his paw back and moving, had to wait for him to re settle enough to not know what i'm doing till i'd got a few done :roll: ) .
I probably could have gone a bit shorter but i was worried about misjudging where the quick is. But the main point is, he doesn't clip clop down the street anymore :D (they got pretty long since he stopped allowing the groomer near him).

I was wondering tho, how much does it matter that i haven't cut right next to the quick? If the quick has room, will it get bigger like peoples do? There is about half a cm more to go but his quick doesn't look level and i'm just worried i hurt him... I know the pain will go but the memory won't... He will remember and never let me do it again, he remembers me accidentally standing on his tail when he was 9 month old because he won't let me touch it :roll: .

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 am

TerriHolt wrote:Woohoo! I cut Sam's nails :D (except his dew claws, they are pretty dark :oops: )... It took half a day but i did it :D (he didn't like it and kept snatching his paw back and moving, had to wait for him to re settle enough to not know what i'm doing till i'd got a few done :roll: ) .
I probably could have gone a bit shorter but i was worried about misjudging where the quick is. But the main point is, he doesn't clip clop down the street anymore :D (they got pretty long since he stopped allowing the groomer near him).

I was wondering tho, how much does it matter that i haven't cut right next to the quick? If the quick has room, will it get bigger like peoples do? There is about half a cm more to go but his quick doesn't look level and i'm just worried i hurt him... I know the pain will go but the memory won't... He will remember and never let me do it again, he remembers me accidentally standing on his tail when he was 9 month old because he won't let me touch it :roll: .
YAY!!! I usually cut Abby's nails to the point where she'll tolerate it - which isn't anywhere near the quick. But she'll let me file the nail down as much as I want, so that's what I usually do - clip tiny bits off until I get to about the right place, then file the heck out of them. I end up getting up to about 3-5cm away from the tip of the quick. Honestly, I haven't noticed the quick getting bigger.. :?

I am thinking about investing in a Dremel to grind Abby's nails instead since she tolerates filing SO well.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 am

I figured that the longer the nails grow, the thicker they become, and they also start to have this rounded shape which makes it a lot harder to properly cut them.

I trim my dog's nails regulary now, like very 3 weeks or so. Especially when your dog spends a lot of time inside and/or on soft or smooth ground you will find that the nails get longer rather fast, because they don't get rubbed down enough.

Besides, you don't need to cut into the quick to make it recede, filing it back every day a bit will make it recede, too. It just takes longer but personaly I find it to be more humane.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:08 am

I did try filing, but it would appear he has super ticklish feet :lol:

Just making him look pretty for when the behaviorist comes on Friday.. his nails were embarrassingly bad (not really bad but not as good as i'd like), groomers not been near him for 6/7 month ish (we walk on a lot of grass... not much concrete between home and walking spot...), vet couldn't do it but it did push me into saving money tho :lol: .

Good to know the quick won't grow. I've always had long nails, now i can only cut them to above 4mm because my quick skin is higher than my fingertip... So i was wondering (hoping) it works different to dogs (i've seen nail clipping guides lately, while looking for the best way to do it, saying if the quick is too long, to cut the nail flush with it and it will gradually go back :? )... So i thought i'd best check. I'm no good at clipping without complications never mind with :oops: :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 am

Tatzel wrote:I figured that the longer the nails grow, the thicker they become, and they also start to have this rounded shape which makes it a lot harder to properly cut them.

I trim my dog's nails regulary now, like very 3 weeks or so. Especially when your dog spends a lot of time inside and/or on soft or smooth ground you will find that the nails get longer rather fast, because they don't get rubbed down enough.

Besides, you don't need to cut into the quick to make it recede, filing it back every day a bit will make it recede, too. It just takes longer but personaly I find it to be more humane.

Thanks for the diagram Ricki, I find it to have clarified what someone else had told me about it before about the hyponychium growing or receding but that time I didn't understand it so well. :)

I think the thickness of the nails actually decreases overtime though as long as the nails are trimmed weekly rather than tri-weekly but it may also depend upon the breed

JWalthall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JWalthall » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

I use a grinder. One trick my own nail tech taught me is that if you grind the nail for a few seconds and then press down on the fresh grind with your finger tip it leaches the heat right out of the nail very quickly. Don't go back to it immediately with the grinder but it gives you a good idea how hot the nail is actually getting and reduces the heat all that the same time. I find it works well on my pups.

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 am

Just remember, if you do get nervous about cutting your dogs nails, you can always go to a local dog groomer and ask if they have a walk-in nail clipping service (where you walk in, they clip the dog's nails, and you walk out). Some groomers also provide nail grinding services. It's usually inexpensive, which is always a plus.
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
the passing of mountains,
When their gold eyes
pierce your mind and soul,
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

kcyin1569 wrote:Just remember, if you do get nervous about cutting your dogs nails, you can always go to a local dog groomer and ask if they have a walk-in nail clipping service (where you walk in, they clip the dog's nails, and you walk out). Some groomers also provide nail grinding services. It's usually inexpensive, which is always a plus.
Not everywhere has groomers ;)
But some vets will do it too
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm

I had a vet clip tysons nails a couple of urs ago before I learned how - cost $30!
Image Image

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Kylievr wrote:I had a vet clip tysons nails a couple of urs ago before I learned how - cost $30!
Our vet did it free for us, but I do it myself now.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 pm

A Siberian husky owner (who also owns a very-low content wolfdog) living near York University clips his dog's nails a tiny bit at a time. But due to the agile nervousness he has to walk him for two hours and then stops by the pond and clips it away when the dog is finally exhausted. But sometimes the dog suddenly to give off a "WOOF!" when he hears the click and the owner accidentally snaps at the quick he often gets his wife to help him relax the dog as he clips the dog's nails gently. As for the wolfdog, she sometimes needs a third person to help keep her down because she is apparently afraid of metal objects that make clippy sound. This has nothing to do with wolf-content in my opinion, just that she still needs some getting used to.

JWalthall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JWalthall » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 pm

My female greyhound HATES to have her nails cut. With the repaired leg I understand. So my fiancee holds her on the couch and covers her eyes while snuggling her and I use the grinder on her. If she can't see it she accepts it. Very bizarre.
I personally think she just wants to be held. Little Hussy!
:lol:

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:22 am

I have never needed to clip my dog's nails - she trims them by using them:] Also for trimming them I found that running on asphalt road by the bike works best.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Tiantai wrote:
Convel wrote:
It worked on Boxer (the pug) when I shined his dark nails long ago with a small yellow flashlight. The yellow lights went right through the black nails revealing the hyponychium so I figured out where it was and avoided it. Might not work on some breeds but it did on the pug. Sometimes what seems opaque isn't 100%, know the old saying, looks can be deceiving ;)
I saw this and thought pffft as if that would work - black nails are opaque. However I have found that this does in fact work on my tam's black nails and I was able to cut her black nails with no problems

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Another trick with dark colored nails is if you lift the dog's paw and bend it at their wrist naturally (much like how you'd lift a horse's hoof to view the underside), then you may notice the long nail has a 'hook'. Usually, if you cut off the 'hook', it should be short enough - you can opt to file it down some more if you'd like or continue cutting a little bit at a time until you notice a small white spot (that's usually indication that you're almost to the quick).

Here's a guide I found for trimming nails (with pictures!): http://www.tendercarepethospital.com/ho ... ets-nails/ :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 am

Czertice wrote:I have never needed to clip my dog's nails - she trims them by using them:] Also for trimming them I found that running on asphalt road by the bike works best.
Personally I prefer walking them on gravel or plain dirt roads that are in the shade during the summer and only use the asphalt roads at evening, night, or early in the morning. I heard that asphalt roads are notorious for hurting and burning the dog's feet on extremely sunny and hot days though. And this is not limited to dogs, many cats and and rabbits are also known to suffer from this.