MICROCHIPS

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

MICROCHIPS

Post by Tarheel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 am

Personally, I would like to see all pups micro-chipped before they leave the breeder. My reasoning is that this will show we care about our puppies, we can prove who bred them and, when a unknown dog show up in a shelter or rescue a simple scan can determine if the dogs is a Tamaskan and who owns it ond who bred it.
I see no good reason that any breeder would not want do micro-chip except to save on breeding expenses.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: MICROCHIPS

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:30 pm

I agree, John. It can also serve as proof of ownership in the event that a dog is stolen or runs away and someone "adopts" it.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Exactly. It should be a requirement IMHO....
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Well we are adopting that policy now with all our puppies but its not mandatory just advisable.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Perhaps we could move the microchipping onto the bronze accredited breeders scheme to encourgage more breeders to do it?
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm

I agree with making it mandatory. Like John said, it shows that we care about our dogs and it is a simple and relatively inexpensive measure to ensure that Tamaskans are traceable. We could also use it as an identifier in any database that we might compile.

Is there really any reason not to microchip pups before they leave?
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 am

We had our male mixed breed microchipped with an AVID chip. The up front cost is more--but there is no yearly membership after the pet is chipped. I prefer this chip to the HomeAgain, which requires the owner to pay a yearly fee after the first year to keep contact information. As of the time we had Freyja chipped, HomeAgain was cheaper up front.
I don't know how common this is, but Freyja's first microchip failed so we had to have her re-chipped. I tried to report it to HomeAgain, but there was no way to contact them unless we paid the membership fee. Perhaps this has changed now--that was two years ago. We had her re-chipped with an AVID chip. But when we went to have Darwin microchipped, they only had HomeAgain. i suppose it's the prerogative of the vet office which type they carry. Regardless, all our dogs are chipped and I have the vet tech scan for their chip each visit to make sure it still works! A little obsessive, I know--but what good is it if it doesn't register?
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:06 pm

That is amazing paying a yearly fee!!! we just pay the once and that is it when the job is done. Yes I have had one chip fail and had to have a second implanted. Most of my dogs chips have migrated to a long way from where they were inserted. All are done on the back of the neck and one of my dogs has one right down the front of his leg just up from his paw!!!!!! unbelievable. Good job we have a scanner to keep track of them. :lol:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm

In accordance with the official TDR rules:
Every TDR registered breeder MUST have every puppy they produce microchipped before each puppy goes to its new home.

Most breeders will have a certified veterinarian implant the microchip and then the veterinarian will register the breeder's details (name, address and phone number). Some breeders opt to become 'Certified Microchip Implanters' themselves, in which case they are directly responsible for correctly implanting the microchip AND registering their details (name, address and phone number) with their local / national microchip database. Ultimately, it is every breeder's responsibility to double-check to ensure that the microchip details have been registered with their (the breeder's) local / national microchip database - with the breeder's details (name, address and phone number) listed in the database - before each puppy goes to its new home.

Once the puppy arrives at its new home (either locally OR outside the country), it is the owner's responsibility to update the microchip registration information to also include their (the owner's) details: name, address, and phone number. For owners that reside in a different country to the breeder, it is the owner's responsibility to register the microchip details in their (the owner's) local / national microchip database.

IF you live in the UK and you have a Blustag/Blufawn puppy that was microchipped by Blustag or Blufawn (now ex-TDR breeders) please double-check to ensure that your dog's microchip details were/are registered with Petlog (the UK database): https://www.petlog.org.uk/ (just type your dog's microchip number in the "look up a microchip" section and click "go").

In the past, while they were still TDR registered breeders, Blustag/Blufawn paid for their local vet to implant and register each puppy's microchip. However, in more recent years (while still registered with the TDR) Blufawn became a 'Certified Microchip Implanter' and simply implanted all Blustag/Blufawn puppies herself. Sometimes this service was offered for a small fee (at TDSGB events) but usually it was included in the purchase price of the puppy. Unfortunately, we are lately discovering many Blustag/Blufawn puppies that were either NOT microchipped at all (when they ran out of microchips) OR that WERE microchipped (by Blufawn) but without any registration information (name, address and phone number) listed in the Petlog database. IF you check Petlog and see that your dog's microchip number is listed as unregistered, be sure to contact Blustag/Blufawn to complain. As a Certified Microchip Implanter, it is Blufawn's responsibility to ensure that each puppy she microchips is subsequently registered with Petlog. If they refuse to register your dog's microchip number with Petlog, you will then have to pay the registration fee in order to have your dog's microchip information (with your ownership details) listed in the Petlog database.

Keep in mind: an unregistered microchip is practically useless. IF your pup was microchipped but no details are registered for that microchip number, then this has many possible implications...

1) IF your dog/puppy goes missing, anyone could find/claim YOUR (unregistered) microchipped dog and simply register the microchip number themselves - with THEIR information listed as owner's details - thereby making it much more difficult for YOU to legally prove ownership of your dog.

2) IF your dog/puppy goes missing, a vet clinic or dog shelter WILL be able to scan (and locate) the microchip BUT all they will have is the microchip number! (No owner's details, no name / address / phone number, etc) - in other words, there is nothing to link your puppy to you or to your pup's breeder(s)... just a number. This is a very frustrating situation all around, not only for the owner, but also for shelter / veterinary staff as they will know that someone owns the dog and is likely looking for it, but it will take much longer for them to locate the owner (if at all). As with un-microchipped dogs, if the owner cannot be located within a set period of time, the dog is usually put up for adoption. Depending on the shelter/rescue group, dogs that have been available for adoption for a long time - that are not adopted - are usually then euthanized (unless it is a "no kill" shelter/rescue group).

This is a very serious (potentially life or death) situation so due care and attention are vital.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

I mentioned it on the debate group but i'll say hear because i don't want anyone to miss it...

1st Saxon litter, Jennie chipped them... It's worth checking. I'd hate to think of anyone losing their dogs...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm not so sure if this is the best place to discuss it but wasn't one of the dog's microchip's details altered by the Blus?

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 pm

In the NL, chip is by NO means any proof of ownership! How is this internationally?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Karen wrote:In the NL, chip is by NO means any proof of ownership! How is this internationally?
In the uk, If your dog gets stolen, you have a better chance of getting it back with a chip with owners details on it (name/address/E-mail address/phone number/pet name/D.O.B), you can even have a 2nd person on it for contacting (well, i was asked if i wanted anyone else's details on it). It will be even easier with papers from the breeder with matching names on it.
It has also been known that, people sell a dog on Gumtree and then claim it was stolen and get it back after chip details are checked and it traces back to the original owner.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 am

Here it pretty much is...but you have to show ID (drivers license or passport).
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 am

will microchips be international? do most countries require that the pup be microchiped with an international microchip prior to arriving?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 am

balto13 wrote:will microchips be international? do most countries require that the pup be microchiped with an international microchip prior to arriving?
most Countries will require a dog to have a pet passport before entering which requires a chip (which number is in the passport )
>> Nino <<