Warning: BALLS!

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Warning: BALLS!

Post by Blustag » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 pm

I would just like to mention to you all that tennis balls are extremely dangerous to our dogs, or to dogs of anykind that can hold them in their mouths. They are soft and very easily swallowed. Please dont take my warning too lightly as I have witnessed a dog die in a park from choking on such a ball. If you must play with a ball go for the larger solid rubber ones.... The ones with a big bounce..these are solid and cannot be swallowed. Another ball that is good is a burst football.. they love these. Vets see all too many dogs choking on these smaller balls and you would be shocked how many die from them. I had a friend whose dog got hold of a tennis ball and swallowed it. It was 3 days before she realised and then too late!!!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: BALLS

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:12 pm

My friend's husky (Marley) ate an old tennis ball that he found when we were on a walk. He grabbed it and ran off with it, refused to drop it, and proceeded to swallow it as fast as possible. LUCKILY it was an old tennis ball and it broke into pieces that could pass though his digestive system, IF it had been a newer ball it would have stayed intact and he very well could have choked or died from internal blockage!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Warning: BALLS!

Post by WhiteElkStag » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:58 pm

What sort of larger rubber balls are you talking about? Could you link an example?
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Onarian wrote:What sort of larger rubber balls are you talking about? Could you link an example?
This is a KONG rubber ball - Sølve have something like it - though not KONG it is massiv rubber
http://justlikejessejames.files.wordpre ... seal-1.jpg
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Love that pic :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Blustag wrote:Love that pic :lol:
hehe.. me2.. and I thought it might give an idea on the size of the ball :-)
>> Nino <<

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Hahah great pic! Okay, that's what we were planning anyway.Thanks!
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Another thing about Tennis balls is that the outer layer or green fuzz wear down teeth because they are abrasive. The fuzz is also easily chewed off and swallowed, not good for the tummy.
Here for a "howling" good time :)

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 am

Not to mention the toxins and chemicals used to make a Tennis Ball. Tennis balls were not made to be non-toxic for animals.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 am

No kidding! The smell of a freshly opened tennis ball can will make me light-headed outside in a fresh breeze from 5 feet away.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh crap :shock: I did play Tennis fetching a lot with Snoopy :?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:38 pm

I throw Tennis balls out when I find them..
I only ever play with them and Sølve when I am out visiting people (cannot throw out their balls :P ) I keep a close eye on her though..

I buy big rubber balls or dog balls for Sølve though and Soccer ones, she loves balls :)
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 pm

i bought Sam a kong ball to play with when he was a small pup and that (and the kong toy to stuff) is the only toy that he never chewed up... any other toy will not last 5 mins but those are going on to be a year old now...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Tyson absolutely loves playing with a ball. Sticks and toys just can't compete. However, his is a super large one that'll never be swallowed, and wasn't all fuzzy and smelly when first bought.
Image Image

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 pm

WhiteElkStag wrote:No kidding! The smell of a freshly opened tennis ball can will make me light-headed outside in a fresh breeze from 5 feet away.
That, they smell so overly chemical, ugh D:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Tatzel wrote:
WhiteElkStag wrote:No kidding! The smell of a freshly opened tennis ball can will make me light-headed outside in a fresh breeze from 5 feet away.
That, they smell so overly chemical, ugh D:
Yeah I know what you mean, that smell aways sickens me when I open fresh new tennis ball containers while out practicing with my uncle and younger cousins. I think soft rubber tennis like the ones kids use or other juvenile balls should be alright. Or better off, play Frisbee instead.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Another reason not to give your dogs tennis balls... there is a new line of tennis balls out there that are filled with and inert substance which presumably helps with the bounce. However, when the dog pops open the tennis ball while chewing, the substance makes a terrible gooey mess in their mouth and presents an aspiration hazard. Avoid having Tretorn X tennis balls in your house if you have to have tennis balls at all.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 am

AZDehlin wrote:Another reason not to give your dogs tennis balls... there is a new line of tennis balls out there that are filled with and inert substance which presumably helps with the bounce. However, when the dog pops open the tennis ball while chewing, the substance makes a terrible gooey mess in their mouth and presents an aspiration hazard. Avoid having Tretorn X tennis balls in your house if you have to have tennis balls at all.
Also should note, if anyone is going out playing tennis with friends and have brought the dog out with them for whatever reason, it's best to make sure that the group of players also has someone to look after the dog OUTSIDE the fences of the tennis square so that the dog cannot get its mouth on any of the flying balls. As far as I know, a LOT of dogs (not all) have the tendency to chase after a fast moving object and a ball passing by the dog can really tempt them to chase after it

shurr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by shurr » Sat May 12, 2012 4:51 am

Just reading this and wanted to say smart advice fanj. I play tennis pretty often so definitely taking this all into consideration :D