paw care

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

paw care

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:30 pm

What do you use on dog paws that are cut, chapped or look brush burned between the toes?
A friend of mine suggested bag balm.
Any other ideas?
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: paw care

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 am

I think Vaseline is a possible treatment, provided the skin is only a bit chapped (if the skin is actually cut and bleeding, I think proper medical cream is better).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 am

Invisible sandal works fantastic!
Here for a "howling" good time :)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks. A friend of mine uses udder cream. Any thoughts?
I've used vaseline and a topical antibiotic when the dogs are down for the night. They tend to leave it alone at that point in the evening.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

abc123
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by abc123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 am

I've found bathing the paw in warm saline works well for our terrier, followed by letting them dry well and applying a small amount of antiseptic cream or vaseline/mild dog-friendly moisturising cream.

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 am

If anyone would like a copy of the first Aid ebook I have on file please PM me and I'll email it to you. please also include an email address for me to send it to.

Burns
Any injury of tissue caused by heat, flame, chemicals, or electricity.
What to Do
· Extinguish all flames.
· For thermal or electrical burns, immediately apply cold water compresses to the
site of the injury, changing them frequently as necessary to keep the site cool and
wet. Continue this for at least 30 minutes.
· For chemical burns, see the chemical injuries section.
· Transport your pet to a veterinary facility as soon as possible.
What NOT to Do
· Do not apply ointments.
· Do not delay seeking veterinary attention.
· Do not attempt to remove burned hair or skin yourself.

Wounds
A wound is any break in the continuity of the tissues of the body, either external or
internal.
What to Do
Deep Wounds
· Stop the bleeding (see the bleeding section).
· Do not attempt to clean the wound unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian.
· Protect the wound from contamination by applying a water- or saline-soaked
compress. Do not remove it until instructed to do so by a veterinarian.
· Immobilize the wound to prevent further damage.
· Provide shock care if necessary.
· Obtain professional veterinary care. Transport the animal with the affected area
facing up.
Superficial Wounds
· Stop the bleeding. Clean and bandage the wound as instructed in bandaging
section.
What NOT to Do
· Do not apply materials (other than those mentioned) to the wound unless
specifically instructed to by your veterinarian.

if you'd like a copy of the first Aid ebook I have on file please PM me and I'll email it to you
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:22 am

So I have been very bad and not taking Ulric out walking very much, I do it every day for a while, stop for a while, repeat. Last week after coming home from the dog park, I noticed it looked like the skin was scraped on the side/ bottom of his front paws. I think he got those because when we walk, we have to walk on the road (no sidewalks where in my little neighborhood) and walking on the grass would be on everyone's property. I only noticed because he was licking at his paws which he does not normally do.

So I was wondering what kind of booties are recommended to avoid this? I'm hoping to get something that can be used in all weather/ terrain and hopefully as well when we start trying canicross.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:04 am

I get my booties from dogbooties.com
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

We have two kinds: we have the Ruffwear: the Barkin' Boots Grip Trex and Skyliner. The skyliner is lighter weight, and the Grip Trex doesn't work well in snow because the top of the boot sits below the dog's dewclaw. We've been interested in the new model that comes up higher: the Polar Trex.

The other thing that's nice about Ruffwear is that they let you order single boots. This is nice if you lose one, or if your dog wears different sizes on the front vs. the back feet (which our lab mix does--his rear feet are a size smaller). Happy Shopping!!!

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 am

I'm not sure if the stuff I usually use for all sorts of wounds would help for this, but I have a small jar of Healing Gel from Frogworks. The trainer I intern with introduced me to the voodoo gel, as she calls it. lol. Originally made for humans, but also works GREAT on dogs. :) We once had a bulldog mix who was rescued from the euthanasia list at a local shelter - he was used as a fighting dog and lost a fight...and half of his front left paw. From the day he entered our training center, he's been treated with painkillers, anti-biotics and the Healing Gel. We had made arrangements for his leg to be amputated from the shoulder...but in a "short" 4 weeks of using the Gel 4x a day on his paw, the paw healed with enough scar tissue so that a pad transfer surgery wasn't even required. Captain doesn't really use the leg too much as it feels awkward for him, but on occasion, he will run with all 4 paws - no surgeries required! :)

The Healing Gel is all natural and the smell does take some getting used to...I've learned to love the smell and I keep a jar with me at all times for any scratches and stuff I get on a daily basis. :) Well worth the money, imo...

There's also the Healing Balm which is the same as the Healing Gel...perhaps get that for the paw pads? The Balm has more of a vaseline texture, methinks. I bought the Healing Gel (50ml) about 3 months ago and I still have about 90% of the jar left since very little needs to be used. It takes a few minutes for the skin to absorb it though...not a big issue with me; works LOTS better than neosporin! Mild knife cuts healed overnight for me. ;) Since it does dry relatively fast, you can apply it, wait a few minutes and then just go about whatever you need to do. This stuff heals wounds from the inside out so there should be relatively little to no scarring on superficial wounds...works on rashes, insect bites, mild burns...yes, even sunburns when I forget to put on sunscreen!