Is a Tamaskan suitable

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
roshenac
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Is a Tamaskan suitable

Post by roshenac » Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me more information on the Tamaskan breed. Throughout my life I have been interested in getting a Husky, however, the fact that you can't let them off the lead was a negative for me.

From the research I have done I am lead to believe that Tamaskan's have better recall and are fine off lead, is this correct.

I am a very active person, with a mixture of hill walking, running and mountain biking that I feel I could give the dog enough exercise (could promise 3 hours a day of exercise), however I do live in a flat which means the dog could not go out whenever they wanted. Is this an issue or is it just crucial that they get enough exercise full stop.

Additionally the dog would not be left alone during the day as my boyfriend is able to take it to work.

I would be grateful for any feedback you could give me as I wouldn't want to get a dog that wasn't suitable for my lifestyle.

Jadzia1313
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Is a Tamaskan suitable

Post by Jadzia1313 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Hello,

I have a Tamaskan Dog, two husky mixes, and run a local northern breed meetup group. It is possible to have a husky off lead, but it takes a lot of consistent training. My good friend has two that are almost always off lead and never leave his side. My Tamaskan and female husky mix are wonderful off lead, but my husky mix boy is notorious for playing "catch me if you can" when it is time to leave. He stays on lead now.

You will find the same inconsistency in the Tamaskan breed. There are a lot of factors, including commitment to training. Keep in mind some lines are heavier in husky in their pedigree than others. I got very lucky with my Tamaskan. She pretty much trained herself off lead. She also stops and turns to focus on my when she feels her leash fall loose. I drop it every so often to watch her stop and turn. :) She has a lot of GSD in her and that might make her a little more trainable.

That's great that you are so active and that the dog can go with your boyfriend to work. I'd love to sneak my trio to work with me. I live in Texas were it gets hot in the summer months (and spring months...and fall months... - Our seasons are more like summer and January.). My dogs get exercise in the early mornings and in the late evenings. With that, they do great being couch potatoes during the day.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Is a Tamaskan suitable

Post by Booma » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

Recall is achievable if you actually work at it. As a trainer I have seen a LOT of dogs much more biddable than the Tamaskan that have zero recall because the owner didn't teach it correctly or didn't practice enough.
Even though your partner can take the dog to work it's still important that they learn to be alone incase something changes in the future.
Image Image