Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 36

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 36

Post by firleymj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Month 3:

I don't really read and write, but my human is doing this for me.

I learned many things this month.

For some reason, my human doesn't want me to eat tasty goose droppings. I think they're wonderful, but he keeps saying "No!" Spoilsport.

I like playing in the stream behind our house. It's cold and clear water. I can drink a lot of it. I've seen other big dogs let go of the bottom, and do something my human calls "swim" but I want to be sure I'm standing on the ground, even in the water. Well, just yet.

Walk is good. I love to walk - especially when it starts to get dark. Everything seems more alive then and I have a lot more energy to move around. Sometimes my human pants more than I do trying to keep up - He's big and kind of old so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

My human has strange ideas about chew toys - he likes me to chew on small things but I don't see why I shouldn't chew the big soft thing he calls a "couch" He doesn't yell at me, but he's very quick to put something else in my mouth then. Maybe I can get more treats that way?

Treats are good. I love the soft, meaty ones. My human calls them "liver" and "bacon and cheese" - the small cracky ones some other humans give their dogs aren't very tasty and my human says I shouldn't eat them.

Sometimes I wonder if my human thinks he's a dog. He likes to play with me and likes it when I lick him and play with him. He often gets down on the ground and feeds me for silly things like sitting or standing. He's so happy when I do it, I just don't get it - but it gets me really good treats. His nose doesn't seem to work at all, but he can tell where he's going somehow, so I guess he's OK.

There are squirmy things in the creek - my human calls them "fish" They kind of smell like some of my food - so I tried to see if they'd make good chew toys. I couldn't catch one. Well, maybe someday.

There are big things with feathers my human calls "geese" They kinda scare me - they're loud and noisy and when I try to play with them, they run into the air. I don't know how they do that, someday I might have to learn.

There are really fun moving things that would make great chew toys - my human calls them "squirrels" - they're grey and furry and move fast - and they smell yummy. I keep trying to catch them, so I can play with them, but they cheat and run up trees where I can't play with them or chew on them.

One night, there was a kind of thunder I'd never heard before - it was loud and sharp and close by - and the lightning came in strange shapes and colors - my human called them "fireworks" and told me it had to do with something humans found important - he called it "Independence Day" but I don't really care - it kind of scared me and I wanted him to hold me tight until it was over.

Dear diary, that's all for now. We're going for a walk - love walk.

Kona
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Kona's Diary

Post by balto13 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I think things like this are creative! thanks for being open and vulnerable with the community :) (sharing you're writing, I HATE sharing my writing)

this kind of reminds me of the youtube videos "sad dog diary" and "sad cat diary" - the cat one was the better of the two in my opinion. Anyways, this was pretty neat. Once again, thank you :)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Kona on his fourth month birthday -
He slows down enough to be photographed!
[img]
20130713%20Kona%20Fourth%20Month%20Birthday%201%20(Small).jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

I can only see the bottom picture, and boy is he a cutie!!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:49 am

I find things like this cute :D

Mikas owner started one here but left the forum :( ...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 am

20130714 Curious Kona icon.jpg
Kona gets curious about this thing called a camera
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 am

what a cute picture! Kona is turning out quite nicely :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Love Love him! I love this whole litter but this is the boy I wanted to take home. So glad he went to a breeding home.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 am

The Tamaskan is a versatile and intelligent working dog!
20130729 Kona's First Driving Lesson - Small Frame.jpg
This is Kona taking his first driving lesson - he's having some problems with the shifter, but has better road manners than most people! :P

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

What a handsome boy! Feel free to post more pictures of him!! :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Learning on a stick instead of automatic? Now that's a smart pup ;) :lol:

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:53 am

An automatic's no fun - he'd rather chase the stick (cringe) :geek:

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Hehehe in Austria we do not have many cars with automatic transmission!
The positive thing about manual transmission is - you always feel like the people in Fast & Furious - I sometimes love to hammer out the gears... :oops:
But I never ever received tickets - I'm such a lucky one :P

I guess Kona also loves to hammer out the gears :D
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Kona's Diary: Month 4

Post by firleymj » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Kona’s Diary: Month 4

It was a busy month. Humans are complicated: they have two call names. I am told my human is called “daddy” (I know he’s not my father, but he’s not the worst pack leader, either), but other humans call him “Mark,” so that’s what I’ll call him in my diary.

We’ve been walking a lot lately, and I’ve noticed that the ground is getting further from me every few days. Mark says it’s because I’m growing so much. All I know is that for quite a while, my jaws hurt when I seem to have gotten new teeth. Mark was as kind as he could be, giving me soft chewy things and icy stuff to dull the hurt, but it still made me kind of miserable. It really hurt when Mark tried to brush them. I like my new front teeth, though. They seem a lot stronger than the old ones, so I can chew really good now. I wonder how often will this happen?

We were at this big place called a “veterinarian’s office” – I think I got that name right. I don’t think I like it very much. There are a lot of nasty strong smells there, and not from living things. Most of the other dogs there seem scared, or hurt somehow, and they don’t want to play. Some are even in tiny crates that won’t even let them move. I think that’s sad. And the human they call “Doctor” pretends to care about you, and pets you nice, then sticks you with something sharp and nasty. Sometimes after the poking, I feel hot and a little grumpy. They’re not evil, but I do bark to tell other dogs they’re not as nice as they pretend either. I worry that Mark will be fooled by them.

Those geese things really bother me – they’re unfair. I bow and crouch low to the ground to show them I want to play, and they run away from me. That’s just rude. Even worse, they run into the air, or onto the water. I tried walking on the water like they did at the edge of the pond. It didn’t work for me – I got very wet, and Mark laughed and had to help me dry off. Those geese just have too many tricks.

On one of our walks, we came across this GIANT bird Mark called a “heron.” For an old human with a nose that doesn’t work, he’s still pretty smart – he knows the names for a lot of things and he seems to know somehow what’s good to eat and what’s not – well, most of the time. The heron bird scared me and when it stretched itself out, I ran and hid between daddy’s, OK, Mark’s knees. He didn’t seem scared at all. Maybe he’s braver than he looks. He didn’t even growl, and it went away into the water.

I still haven’t gotten a squirrel to play with either, but I’m getting closer. The other day one ran up a tree just the width of its tail ahead of me. They seem to be afraid of me – I can’t figure out why.

I finally got one of those gray bugs Mark calls “stinkbugs” – and I licked it to show it I was friendly. I won’t do that again – it tasted yucky! I don’t think I’ll be friendly to one of them again. I did finally catch one of those squimy things called “fish” in the creek. It kind of smelled like some of my food, but it didn’t really have a taste at all. I let it go, it turns out it wasn’t much fun to play with, even if chasing it in the water was fun.

We went walking around our house, and I have lots of cool dog neighbors. There’s a beagle called Bandit and a little terrier called Misty that I really like. They say she’s older than I am, but I think she’s just a tiny puppy. And Ben and Chessie, and Copper and Pancake and Alice and Giffin and Zeus and Preacher and Erin, and Roxy and Timmy. They all are so different, yet they’re each fun to play with. I wonder: can a pack start with something other than family?

Howling about fun, Mark has started going to a place he calls a “dog park” with me. There are lots of other dogs and I can run off my leash. YAY! Some of the girl dogs are kind of cute. There’s a German Shepherd I really like, and a really pretty Whippet, and this beautiful red haired Husky. She has really cool eyes –not amber like my mommy’s, but one blue and the other blue and brown. I like playing with just about all of the dogs there – sometimes we go after Mark stops doing what he calls “work” and we stay for a couple of hours before night comes – it’s almost as good as treats.

Barking of treats, I find I like the meatier ones more. Peanut butter used to be my favorite, but the liver ones just seem to get yummier. Bacon and cheese are good too. I like this cool white stuff called “yogurt” – kind of reminds me of the days mommy fed me herself – not quite as good, but still pretty tasty. I like to eat some food early in the morning, then go back for a nap. Then we walk for a bit, and some times we go in a thing called a “car.” Being in the car is boring, because my travel crate is low and I can’t see a lot of what’s going on. When we’re in a different car Mark calls a “truck” I have to wear this really big harness thing that’s not really very comfortable, and won’t even let me lie down when I want. I think I like the car better, but it’s colder in the truck, so that’s good at least.

I got to stay with my half brother, Max while Mark said he had to be away. It was really nice. Max was so much fun to play with, he understands me so much better than the other dogs I know. He plays the way our family plays, and his humans are really, really nice. They know how Tamaskans are, and it’s nice to find humans who just accept you for what you are.

Their pack is called “The Browns.” They have a bigger kennel than Mark and I do, and it was fun to play with them. I also found out that you can mix a thing called “wet food” with your kibble – WOW! Is that tasty. I make Mark do that for me now, too. I was kind of afraid Mark was going to leave me, but he does keep coming back and petting and feeding and hugging me. I’m not completely certain, though, so I do howl sometimes when he leaves the house just to remind him to come back. It seems to upset him, but I just want him to be sure he knows to come back. He's not a perfect pack leader, but I can tell he's trying - and that's good.

Well, dear diary, that’s all for now – gotta go walk. Walk is good.

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Sooooo cute!!! maybe can learn Nana too how to drive.... :mrgreen:

firleymj wrote:The Tamaskan is a versatile and intelligent working dog!
20130729 Kona's First Driving Lesson - Small Frame.jpg
This is Kona taking his first driving lesson - he's having some problems with the shifter, but has better road manners than most people! :P
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

I love reading Kona's Diary! Good post :)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 pm

20130814 Kona Fifth Month Birthday (bbs).jpg
Kona on his fifth month birthday

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 am

what a handsome puppy! He is my favorite from that litter <3

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson]

Post by firleymj » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Kona’s Diary – Month 5

Dear Diary,

So much has happened; it’s hard to get it all in.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand humans. They have noses that barely work at all yet they fuss so much about the smell of poo, even their own. They insist on covering their litter boxes and what’s worse, wash all that lovely smell away. How do they know where they’ve been, what they’ve eaten, or how they are when they won’t even smell themselves? They’re not bad creatures, just strange.

I spent a lot of time sleeping – I seem to be able to sleep longer than just a little while ago – Mark says it’s better now that he doesn’t have to take me out so often in the night. When we do go out late at night, he mumbles a lot – not that I understand everything anyway, but I sometimes think he’s not happy to get up then. Sometimes I have to nose him awake, though it’s more fun to bat him with my tail to remind him to take me outside.

I do seem to be getting bigger. Many humans think I’m an adult dog, but sometimes I jump a little and play bow to them to remind them I’m just a puppy. I’m getting tired of all the new teeth, though. They’re really cool and I can chew much better on the new ones, but they hurt so much coming in that sometimes I really just want to eat only the wet foods Mark gives me. I found some new foods I really like, called “hamburger” and “ground chicken” (I think I have that right). And there’s this thing with a funny name called an “egg” that’s kind of tasty. There’s also a thing called a “sweet potato” that’s really good too – it tastes like some of my kibble.

Mark has a girl human he calls “Cat” though he tells me that her call name is different because it’s spelled with a “K”, whatever that is. She smells a lot different than he does, like lots of flowers and things, and she changes her smell a lot – different smells for different nights. I know, it doesn’t make sense to me either, but I guess it’s another of those human things. She’s nice to me though, and seems friendly enough. She doesn’t seem to like me licking her (Mark never seems to fuss when I do it to him) or jumping because I like seeing her. Why name a perfectly wonderful human after one of those hissy, clawing things?

There are these really good things called “sticks” you can chew on. I like some better than others. I’m not good on their names, but Mark is. The ones I like he calls “Grape wood, Maple, Sassafras, and Locust” The ones called “Oak” are too hard, and the kind called “Pine” just taste yucky. If they’ve been in the creek a while they get softer, and smell much more interesting, but they don’t taste as good.

Something really strange is happening – when I was really little, the days seem to have been getting longer and hotter – now they’re getting shorter and cooler – and the smells of things are changing so much. A lot of plants that were pretty and green and smelled cool and wet are now smelling dry and dusty and just turning gray (Mark says it’s a color called “red” but I don’t see in the same way, I guess).

I still haven’t made friends with a goose, but there’s a bird that lives inside our house that I bark with. He has a funny bark, all high-pitched and complicated (Mark calls it a “tweet”). Sometimes the bird and I bark together, and Mark laughs. Sometimes when he’s talking into the air or into a funny box he calls a “phone” he’s not so happy. We also have tortoises in the house, but they’re not very much fun to play with. They’re kind of slow and sometimes they hiss at me when I ask them to play, even if I bow down really, really low.

We’ve had a lot of sunny days lately, so we’ve been going to that dog park place a lot. There are a lot of good dogs to play with, though some aren’t so nice. There’s a fun pair of German Shepherds (though one is a lot nicer than her sister, who’s kind of bossy and mouthy), and a cool bulldog who plays rough as a Tamaskan, but a lot lower to the ground. I’m still trying to figure out one of the terriers (they say he’s from a far away place called “Tibet”). He’s nice to play with, but just doesn’t seem to want to play very much –when he does he’s so much fun, I don’t understand why he doesn’t play more.

There is a nice short haired mix called “Armani” who’s just a little older than me, and even though he’s smaller, he’s really FUN to play with. We could play and run for hours just on our own. There’s a pit bull mix who’s really loud and kind of annoying, and he seems to get mad a lot more easily than most dogs I know. Mark says it’s probably bad parenting, whatever that is. I like running with Penny, the redhaired Husky, and another red Husky called Indie. And there are some really nice Native American Village Dogs that almost look like they could be my relatives.

There’s a really cool girl Rottweiler called “Samantha” I heard her human talking with Mark and he told Mark that Samantha doesn’t get along with other dogs too well. She’s so big and a little rough, but we don’t seem to have any problems. We play well and from what I can tell, for all her size and power, she’s really afraid of most other dogs. I think that’s sad. But when she plays or walks with us, I make sure to wag my tail a lot to tell her I’m happy to be with her. She seems to understand somehow.

On the way home, I figured out how to pull my harness over and put my head on Mark's lap and go to sleep while he's doing something he calls "driving" He seems to like it, because he pats me gently and tells me I'm a good dog.

I still wonder if Mark thinks he’s a dog – of all the humans I see these days, he and a friend of his called Steve (he’s the human of Preacher and Erin) are the only ones that get down on the ground and roll and play with us like we do. Of course, they have really tiny muzzles, and can’t play bite to save their lives. We have to go easy on them, they’re only humans, after all. But they try, and that’s all I feel we should ask them to do.

Heading out for a walk! Bye!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 5

Post by firleymj » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:33 am

Kona at Six Months (Small).jpg
Growing by the week!

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 am

I enjoy reading about Kona from his perspective, and love pictures! He is so handsome, and apparently a good writer - who would have known? ... well, his show name IS James Watson :lol:

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 am

Thanks - knowing that we're entertaining (and hopefully informing) makes it so worthwhile!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 6

Post by firleymj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 am

The Kona Diaries: Month 6

Dear Diary:

So much to tell. This time I start with a trip to a place Mark called a “farm.” We went to visit with another dog who might be a distant relative. She was a little growly at first, but then we played really hard together. Her call name’s Timber and they live quite a bit away. There were GIANT animals on the farm called “horses” and “cows” as well as funny looking birds called “chickens.” Most of them didn’t want to play with me, and cows sure bark in a strange way, but Timber was really nice and we ran and ran around in the grass. We even played around a pond that they use for a BIG water bowl for the horses and cowses. Timber went running off a hard wood ramp that Mark calls a “dock” right into the water, like geese do. I figured it was a hot day, so I’d follow her. That stinker! The water was taller than I am, and I had to run in the water while trying to breathe (Mark calls it “swimming”) It wasn’t very much fun at all. I don’t think I’ll run off any more docks anytime soon.

Meeting more and more dogs at the park – and they’re pretty much all good to play with. We met some malamutes (Jack and Chelsea) who look like they could be part of our pack. Chelsea kind of looks like a heavier built version of my mom, Freyja, but I think mommy’s prettier. And there’s Nina, a Dalmatian mix, who doesn’t seem to hear anything (Mark says she’s ‘deaf’), but she sure can run and play. I like playing with her.

Maybe I shouldn’t tell this, but I got hunted by a thing called a “rabbit” It was a little one that came out from some low green leaves all of a sudden, ran up to me, barked with a funny “yip yip” sound and ran away before I could figure out what it was doing.

One night, I got to stay with Mark’s friend whose call name is Miles and his two German Shepherds. Mark says it’s just easier to take me places than to put me in my crate. I really don’t like being in there very much – even if it’s filled with toys and snacks and food, I will pace and howl until Mark comes and lets me out. He doesn’t seem very happy about it, but I have to let him know not to do that. Miles is another one of those humans who thinks he’s a dog. I think I like that kind of human. They’re silly, pretending they could be dogs, but we let them try, they’re working so hard to be part of our packs. It’s nice to know they want to do the right thing, even if they can’t be what we are.

I had a chance to see mommy again, too. It was fun. We sniffed each other and rubbed up almost like we did when I was very very small. We saw my first humans there too, Ben and Tracy and Chayce, at something called a “dog show.” It was great seeing so much of my family there – Freyja, that’s my mommy, my half-brother Max and half-sister Raven, as well as Fenris, and Darwin I remember from when I was really, really tiny.

To get to the dog show, we had to go in a kind of car I’d never seen before. It was called a “van” and Max and I and his human and Mark all got in and stayed there for hours until we came to a thing called a “Motel.” It smelled yucky, like no animal ever lived there. You couldn’t even smell the humans for the smell of something that was like a flower, but wasn’t really. Mark had to air out the place so I wasn’t so miserable from the smells.

The “dog show” was really strange. We had to sit around a lot and had to walk as if we were those horse things on these really thin leashes, that couldn’t hold anything other than a very small puppy back. Humans I’d never seen before came up and petted me in some very strange ways, almost like that “Veterinarian” does. I don’t think I trust any of them, and I growled at one Mark called a “judge” when he tried to touch me in a way I didn’t think was friendly.

Some of the other dogs at the show looked at us funny, I don’t think they liked our pack being there. I just think they didn’t even smell like real dogs – they smelled of flowers and things, kind of like Cat, sorry Kat. That’s OK if you’re a people, but what real dog wouldn’t rather roll around in squirrel poo?

It was a little upsetting, I could smell Mark being a little scared, and one of the other humans seemed to be mad at him because I wasn’t trotting, whatever that is. He made Mark walk really funny and I had to follow him around on this dumb string thing instead of a real leash. I don’t really know what happened, but at the end of two days, Mark said he was taking home some colored strips of cloth that said I was a good dog. He was extra nice to me that night, and I think I smelled his eyes getting wet. He said he was “proud” of me. From the hugs and the smells, and the extra long belly rub, I think it means I was a good dog.

Humans. They’re stranger than geese. When we got home, I got to play with Max again at the Brown’s kennel. It was a lot of fun!

We met up with some other big animals on one of our walks, Mark says they’re called deer. I play bowed to one of them, and it spread its front legs like it wanted to play back, but then it turned around and ran faster than any animal I know, except geese.

One fun thing as it gets colder – I like to nap outside now – it’s a lot more comfortable. Not as much fun as a run at the dog park, but it’s still really good sleeping in the cold.

This time, off to sleep! Bye.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Love these, Kona! Keep writing!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 pm

firleymj wrote:
20130814 Kona Fifth Month Birthday (bbs).jpg
Kona on his fifth month birthday
I just love my little house guest to pieces :P He looks so much like Max, his half-bro, both have Freyja's facial features, I think.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Kona's Diary Month 7

Dear Diary:

Another month's gone by already? It feels like I was writing only a few days ago.

It's been a busy month. A lot of things have been happening. I'm growing quite a bit again, and it's fun to be taller - I'm closing in on my half-brother, Max. We had a day to play together and it was great! I like Max and his pack of humans. Max can be fussy about sharing his bone pile, but he does let me eat from his bowl, so he's a pretty good brother, I feel. Come to think of it, though, he's not much of an eater - I think I go through more food in a day than he does, and he's a bigger dog!

Mark says I'm a "four-legged kibble vacuum" He has strange ways of barking things, but I think he means I eat a lot, or maybe that I eat fast. His Kat says she's finally met something that eats faster than Mark does. I'm not sure if that was nice nor not, but Mark laughs at it, so I guess it's OK.

What's strange is that there's so much more darkness in a day now. We can't spend as much time at the dog park as we used to, since we have to leave by dark. It's getting a lot colder, which I really, really like. It makes it more fun to run when I can. When we can, I like running with Nina, and Jack and Chelsea, and Penny, and our walks with Samantha. And there's Bentley (no one knows for sure, but I think he's part Carolina Dog) - he's got almost as much energy as I do, and little Misty - when I play with her, I have to lay down and make myself as small as I can. And Bandit - he's a good old dog, and when he howls, I know it's something worth listening to. I like to visit with Candy and Duchess when we can - they're fun to play with and chase around. I kind of miss our walks with Preacher and Erin, but Mark says we'll be seeing them again soon.

We're finding some places to go that are inside in the cold and dark - people are so nice to us in the places Mark calls "pet stores" - even if some of the other dogs get kind of barky. I want to play, but some of the other dogs act like they don't get along with anybody but their humans.

I even got to try a thing called "day care" when Mark said he had to go do something about "work." I missed him, and howled a bit, but overall it was different and kind of fun and the humans there were nice to me. They walked and fed me and gave me a nice belly rub. I like Mark's better, but he knows me a lot more.

There are a lot more of those deers around now, and we sometimes see them in packs while we walk. At first, I thought they didn't like me, but they seem to be nervous, even around the smallest dogs I know. I wonder if they talk with the geese. I feel we scare them, somehow. I really don't know why. There are more of those giant blue birds Mark calls "herons" around, but a lot of the smaller birds are gone. I finally got to play with one of those "squirrel" things - it wasn't a good player - when I pawed it, it stopped and fell off the tree it was on, only to run back up it a second later. It smelled really scared, so I think I'm going to have to try again. Maybe I can get one of them to like me.

One of the cool things about getting bigger is that I can have some more fun with Mark. Now when I have to go outside, I don't even have to howl - if he's sleeping (especially on the things he calls a "couch" or a "bed") I can just lean in and poke my nose at him. Sometimes I have to lick him awake if he's sleeping hard. It's kind of fun to watch him shake as he gets up when I do that - though sometimes he smells a little mad, he doesn't yell, but he doesn't give me a treat either.

And howling of treats, we're trying a lot of new foods - I like the treats called "buffalo" or "bison" and the ones that taste like chicken. I don't eat a lot when I get up - I'm not really hungry until after our second walk of the day - but then I like to start - mixing my kibbles with hamburger is good. And when we get home from our night walk, I really like to eat - We're trying all sorts of new foods - I like some of the things called "vegetables" mixed in with my meat and kibble. I did take a lump of something called "butter" when I was visiting Max's family. It tasted good, but my tummy wasn't all that happy with it for a day or so. Mark said it was because I was bad not to ask if I could have any, I just took it. Why do humans leave tasty stuff around if they want us to ask first? I don't think that's fair. I do like that funny looking thing called "cottage cheese" almost as much as I did yogurt in the summer. And egges are good too, and another kind of cheese called "Swiss" is really good. The only thing I really don't seem to care for is something called a "banana" - it looked good, and Mark seems to like them, but I tried some, and it wasn't worth even swallowing. Mark seemed surprised, since he likes them, but there's no figuring out why humans will eat what they do.

One other thing - I really like falling asleep on Mark's lap when we're coming home or on his feet when he's sitting in front of that thing he calls a "television" - that funny kind of window where you see things that aren't really behind it. He seems to like it too, cause he smells so relaxed when I do. Sometimes, he growls happy when I do it. It's good to know I can make him happy, because he does so much to make me happy.

Think I'll take a nap now - it's a grey day and kind of windy - I'll dream of chasing the squirrels until our next walk.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 7

Post by firleymj » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:08 am

Doing the "broken sled dog" Kona finally sleeps after a long day, or
does a dance number in his sleep. (lol) I've never seen a Tamaksan do the Macarena!
20131028 Kona doing the Broken Sled Dog.jpg

JWalthall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JWalthall » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:25 pm

I adore hearing about Kona! Keep it up.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Kona had a sleep-over with his half-bro, Max (Hellroaring Canyon) and the boys really did bond. Sorry Mark, I know you don't allow Kona on the furniture at your house . . . but he was at mine ;) .
Kona&Max-12-2-2013.JPG

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 pm

They look so alike in this photo :)

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:They look so alike in this photo :)
They really do, except that Kona is 78 lbs at only 9 months amd my picky boy is only 72 at almost 2 years. :roll: We also measured height, Kona at 27.5" and Max at 28.5"

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 am

20131207 Kona Learns to Drive the Benz (small).jpg
And he's back driving!
To our friends in the UK and Japan, that is the driver's seat position in the US.
It's less fun with an automatic, but it is, after all, a Mercedes (he's coming up in the world now the breed is recognized) :lol:

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Better be careful he doesn't start bringing strange dogs home.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Eventide wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:They look so alike in this photo :)
They really do, except that Kona is 78 lbs at only 9 months amd my picky boy is only 72 at almost 2 years. :roll: We also measured height, Kona at 27.5" and Max at 28.5"

Kona is heavier than his dad and almost the same height and only at 9 months old. :shock:

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Can anyone say "Direwolf?" :o

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 8

Post by firleymj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Month 8

Dear Diary,

I’m getting so much bigger now, it seems I’m farther from the ground every day. Mark says I’ve grown three inches since I last wrote. I’m not really sure what that means, but I can see I’m almost as big as my half-brother, Max. Max and I had another day to play this month. I like playing with Max and his humans, but I’m not sure about those two cat things they have in the house. One of them is kind of fun to chase, but the other makes all kinds of hissy noises.

It’s strange outside, a few days ago, it was sunny and warm, then all of a sudden, it got really cold. I like that, but Mark seems to grumble about it a little, and we have to wait while he puts on more clothes before we go out. Do humans wear clothes because their fur is so poor? Then one morning, the ground was all covered in white stuff that Mark called ‘snow.” I like snow, it’s cold and really, really good to play in. Except for the times I’m trying to find my toys in it. When I went to play with one of my tennis balls, it scooted off under the snow, and hid there. I had to go sniff it out, and when I went to paw it again and it ran away under the snow again. I had to chase it a lot before I caught it with my mouth. Mark laughed and said I was being silly. I’m not so sure. I didn’t know that snow made things be tricky like that, but I am learning, so watch out!

There was one day just before it started to get really cold when Mark was sitting at that funny box he calls a computer. It doesn’t smell very interesting, but he spends a bunch of time looking at it. He says he does it because of something he calls “work” mostly. It has one of those funny “television” windows, too, the kind where you see something that’s not behind the window. Very strange. But anyway, Mark read something he called an “e-mail” that said us Tamaskans were an “official breed.” He got very excited and smelled really happy, and came up and hugged me tight. His eyes were a little watery, and so I had to lick them dry – and that only seemed to make him happier and more excited. It took a lot of licking, but I feel I have to take care of him, too. I don’t know why he’s so happy about it, every dog I know and all of our family knows we’re not like other dogs – why does that surprise you if you’re a people?

I have to write about some new foods: I found I like venison – Mark says it comes from those pack of deers we see roaming around these days. We saw one that was really strange – a real giant! And it had funny looking ear things Mark calls “antlers” He said that’s how you tell boy deers from girl deers. Silly, as if you couldn’t just smell the difference, why do people always seem to figure out things the hard way?

How much I want to eat changes a lot from day to day now. Some days I have to ask Mark for more food more than once, and some days I don’t even finish my morning bowl. There’s this thing called “turkey” that Max’s mom made for me – it kind of tastes like chickens, but it’s different. Really good. And we are trying all sorts of new treats – I like the beef jerky ones, and there’s this crunchy kind that Nina’s human makes for her that are really good. Beans are OK if they’re soft and in with something else, but I’m not too keen on them the way Mark eats them himself.

There are fewer dogs at the dog park these days, Mark says it’s because the weather is so bad, but my husky friends and I love it. Penny and I really like to run in this cold and snow. Poor Nina, she gets cold. I guess Dalmatians don’t have as much fur as we do. Her human got her a cloth she wears like Mark wears a coat. It’s a nice shade of gray, but the humans call it “pink” – I guess that’s another one of those things we don’t see alike. Little Misty has a cloth too, but Dutchess and Candy don’t, neither does Bentley. I haven’t seen Indy lately but I’ll bet he likes the snow too. Mark bought me a cloth, but mine’s what he calls “reflective.” I don’t need it to be warm, but he says it helps humans see me when we walk at night. I know that when the light hits it, it seems to get brighter around me. Maybe it’s because there’s so much more night lately.

There are a lot of strange things happening at night – when we go in the car or even the truck, sometimes there are strange lines of light in the night sky, sometimes they’re attached to the people kennels Mark calls “houses” sometimes they’re just in the trees. Mark calls them “Christmas decorations.” He told me that coming up is a day that’s really important to humans, when many of them get together with their packs and eat, and be happy. He tried to explain that it also means that humans celebrate something like their Owner coming to live with them and give them a chance at a special kind of life. I’m not sure I understand it, but he seems happy about it, so it’s OK with me, too. I’d like it to come soon, because I know Mark will share that happy with me.

He’s even trying to hide a stack of bones and treats from me in a thing he calls a closet, but he can’t fool me. He says they’re for me when that “Christmas” thing comes – I hope it’s not too much longer – they smell yummy!
Gotta get ready for our walk! Bye!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 8

Post by firleymj » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:33 am

20131208 Kona's First Snow 1 (small).jpg
Kona's first time in the snow!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 10

Post by firleymj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Dear Diary,

What a month it’s been! There were really, really fun parts and really, really scary parts, and so much other stuff.

It’s been so cold and I love it! A lot more of that “snow” came and it stayed this time. I can play in it. I still haven’t figured out why my tennis balls like to hide under it, so I had to learn to jump on them when they went to run and hide under it. Mark laughs when I do that, but I can tell it’s a happy laugh, so it’s OK with me.

It’s been getting darker and darker and somehow the days seem shorter. There aren’t a lot of other dogs at the park, either, mostly our pack of sled dogs (Penny, Jack, Chelsea, Ruby, and me). Nina still plays with us a lot, but she has to wear her cloth to keep from getting too cold. We haven’t seen Bentley in a while, and that worries me a little, but Molly and Samantha are there, and there’s a new hound called “Rosie” who’s fun to play with.

That “Christmas” thing was really fun. As part of the way people have Christmas, I found out they give treats to each other – most of them you can’t eat, though. And they put their treats in paper that’s really fun to shred, but if you tear too much of it, they kind of look at you like you did something bad. But they also give dogs treats. I got a new collar and a lot of new treats and some great chew bones. Mark even gave me this HUGE bone he either calls a “Mammoth Bone” or a “Beef Thigh” I don’t care what you call it, it’s really really good. I got to chew on it for days before it lost its taste. I still drag it out of my crate from time to time just to play with it.

I did find out that not everything that looks like a treat is a good thing. We were visiting some of our friends and some things that looked like treats spilled on the floor, so the other dogs and I tried to eat them up – turns out they had something in them called “medicine” which was good for one of the other dogs, but wasn’t good for me. Mark bundled me up and we went to a very very scary place called a “hospital” where more of those veterinarians peoples stuck me with all sorts of things and made me so sick I threw up. I could smell Mark was really afraid, maybe for the first time I can remember. They took me away from Mark and put me in a big room with all sorts of things that smelled terrible. I got scared. They put strange things called tubes in me and made me eat this funny stuff called “charcoal” which kind of smelled like the burnt part of one of my beef patties if Mark cooks them too much. I got really scared, and barked and fussed so much, they had to let Mark in so that I wouldn’t be so scared. He held me, and even though his eyes were wet, and he smelled scared, just holding me, I knew it was going to be all right, and I let those veterinarians do what they had to. We spent a lot of time there, not like at our regular veterinarian. Every couple of days, we had to go back to our regular place and they stuck me with more of those sharp nasty things Mark calls “needles.” After a few trips back, our doctor said I was going to be all right.

For the next couple of days, I didn’t want to leave Mark’s side, and the strange thing is, I don’t think he wanted me to either. I don’t ever remember his eyes being so wet when we were told I was OK again. I had to lick his face to dry it off a whole lot. That only seemed to make his eyes wetter. He kept telling me he loved me and hugging me over and over again.

There was some other fun stuff though. Once I found out I was healthy again, we got to spend some time with my half-bro, Max and another of the Brown’s pack, called Roo, and their cats. We had a lot of fun, well us dogs did, I’m not so sure about those cats! Max and I are almost the same size now, and sometimes I think I’m going to be bigger than he is when I grow up.

The great thing has been the snow and how cold it is – sometimes I want to stay out all day and night in it, but Mark says I have to come in. I know it sure makes me extra hungry. And I found out a new way to get treats – all I have to do is sit down and hold out a paw, (something Mark calls “shake”) and I get food! Wow! He even gives me treats for running back to him when I’m off leash – he calls that “here.” I wonder if there’s anything else I can do to get more treats?

We’re walking a lot now - Mark puts on this big cloth that covers him from his neck to his feet – it makes him slow getting ready, and I have howl at little to hurry him up – but he says he needs it to stay warm cause he doesn’t have good fur like I do. Sometimes I feel sorry for humans, they just don’t seem to be made very well, but I do love him anyway, and I can tell (don’t tell Mark) that he loves me back.

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Nice boy! :)

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 pm

oh gosh - scary story in the middle there!! he's such a nice looking dog!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 11

Post by firleymj » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 pm

MONTH 11 –JANUARY 2014

Dear Diary

Wow, it’s been a better month. We stayed away from those doctors peoples, except for my check-up, and that’s OK.

The fun thing is what’s been going on outside. What a big change. It’s been so much colder and now we have a LOT of that snow stuff on the ground. It’s even more fun to play in when there’s so much of it. If it’s deep enough, I can dive in from the top, push through underneath, and jump up through it from the bottom side. Mark calls it “porpoiseing”. I’m not sure why, but is sure is a LOT of fun. If the snow is deep enough, its’ even fun to sit in or lay on top of. Sometimes when I go out at night, I don’t want to come back in. I think Mark’s not so happy when he has to stand by the door and call me in.

When it gets really deep it’s hard to find my toys in the snow, and balls just seem to scoot around under it in ways that are hard to figure out.

It was so great this month, we got to play a lot – one of the really best plays was with my half-brother Max We got to play a lot more this month, and he even came to the dog park with me, and got to meet many of my friends. Max’s humans are so nice to me, and make tasty food for me. And we got to play with some friends I haven’t seen in a while – Bandit and Indy and Bradley. I like Bandit, he’s old but when he howls, you know it’s important. We even had a “sled dog” pack in the park – Jack and Chelsea, Indy and Penny, and Ruby. I even got Gunnar, the Irish Wolfhound, who’s not usually very lively to play. He’s BIG! There aren’t a lot of dogs that make me feel small, but Gunnar’s one of them – still we had a good time wrestling. It’s a strange thing – even dogs that don’t usually play well generally get along with me. Samantha the Rottweiler and Duchess and Candy, the shepherds are really fun, and we’ve gotten to spend a lot of time playing. Duchess and Candy’s human, (his call name is “Miles”) is fun too – he keeps treats and toys in his pockets and it’s fun to poke inside them. I’m not sure Mark approves, but he and Miles laugh so I’m not sure it’s that bad.

I tried playing with the tortoises – the one Mark calls “Sol” seems really unhappy when I lick his back – Mark calls it a “shell” – it’s strange, because it’s so cold and hard – how can something live without fur? Even humans have a coat, as bad as it is. Sorry, Mark. The other tortoise, Millie, sits and looks up at me. She has pretty brown eyes, but can’t really play very much at all.

And Mark found me a great new chew toy – he calls it “Buffalo Horn” All I know is that I can chew and chew on it like an antler, but it’s a lot tastier.

We are trying some new foods – Mark says he wants me to try new things – some are good – I found if you cook “green beans” enough they’re OK. A thing called “pineapple” is not my favorite, but I can eat it. “Duck” doesn’t really appeal to me. I do like some of the new kibbles and a thing called “chicken stew” is pretty tasty, though I’m pretty sure that some of the things in there taste better because of the chicken. I pestered Mark to eat something he eats, called a “salad” but when I had some, I don’t see why on earth he finds it tasty, though the tomatoes might be OK if they were cooked like beans.

A last thing – it’s strange, but my howl is changing – somehow it’s deeper, and sometimes the sound kind of “cracks” when I try to howl – I kind of like the deep sound, I sound more like the older dogs, but I can’t quite control it yet – I want to learn.

Time for a nap – I like naps – they help me get ready for walks and play time.

Bye!
20140213_13_39_26_Kona in the Snow (Small).jpg

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 am

No more snow, Kona! It's time for it to get warm!

freshbake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by freshbake » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 am

I private messaged you but I have a one year old Tamaskan in Gainesville Virginia! Would be fun to meet up and get the dogs together.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 am

Ahhh, my little Kona is growing up so fast! :? BTW - time for another sleepover with Max. ;)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 12

Post by firleymj » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:08 pm

The Kona Diaries (Month 12)

Mark says it’s my first birthday this month; I’m not sure about all it means, but we’re going to find out together.

Even though the weather’s been cold, I seem to be shedding a lot of my coat. OK, usually when I let Mark brush me we get a little ball of fur that’s the size of a walnut or so. And I do mean let him brush me, because most of the time I just kind of nip at the brush as Mark tries to drag it through my coat. But as the days are getting longer again, I seem to be losing fur in huge clumps at a time. The funny thing though, is now that brush (which I just about can tolerate on a good day) feels so good as it pulls the shedding through.

There’s been so much snow, it’s even fun to eat! And speaking of eating, I did get to try some more of those vegetables things. If you do what Mark calls “stew” the tomatoes down the way we did with the green beans, they’re pretty tasty. A funny gray thing called a “carrot” – same deal. We tried some other stuff too, that I didn’t like as much – “apples” just don’t have enough flavor, and even though I tried another one of those yellow thin things Mark calls a “banana” - I don’t think they’re really worth eating. And while I tried that yellow sweet thing called a pineapple, I won’t completely refuse it, but think it’s never going to be something I really want to eat, either.

I’m a little worried, because Mark has been what he calls “sick” – he’s barking really oddly and keeps wiping his muzzle. He doesn’t even really smell right. One thing I did to help was to bring him some of my toys and a bone to help him feel better – I could tell it made him happy. Because of that, we’ve been staying in more, but Mark still tries to get us to the dog park so I can run at least once a day.

My half-brother Max has been joining us at the dog park the last couple of weeks – it’s awesome to play with him! I’m always glad to see Max, he understands so much and of course, he’s family in a way that other dogs just can’t quite “get.” And Max’s humans, Dottie and Tommy are just such good people – they remind me of Mark, and you can tell they really love their Max, and they’re always so good to me and give me really yummy food and treats. And we got to see a lot of our friends again as the weather gets better – Addy, Jack and Chelsea, Samantha, Nina, Penny, Roxy, Ruby, Bandit, Preacher and Erin and some new dogs: including a shepherd mix called Polar who’s a really intense player, and a Rottie called Butch who's so nice but having trouble playing (Mark says he has back legs that aren't quite right because his last pack of humans didn't care for him properly, and now his new pack of people are trying hard to make him better), and some new dogs I’m just learning. And of course there’s Candy and Duchess (the Shepherds) and Sesi, who’s a little old and sometimes doesn’t want to play, but he’s OK. Candy and Duchess are so much calmer lately, (which is good), their human (whose call name is Miles) must be working very hard with them.

I still don’t think I’ll ever really understand humans – when we mark our territory, us dogs pick places where we know our smell will stay. Humans mark their territory in a little room in water, which they wash away. How do they ever expect that will work? It’s like when we’re out on a walk, and Mark picks up my poo and puts it in bag which he puts a big tall round thing when we pass it.. I mean, what’s the point of that? It’s almost an insult to my smell. Oh well, I’m sure he means well, but humans just aren’t as smart as they think they are.

Even so, Mark does his best by me and I know he loves me – he’s always finding reasons to tell me I’m a good dog – even when they’re so simple – like holding out my front right paw when he says “Shake” and he’s so happy like it’s a big thing. He sometimes gives me jerky or cheese for doing really easy stuff just because he says to. They must love us to be so good for so little.

Don’t tell him, but I love my Mark back and want him all healthy again.

Gotta go, it's almost time for lunch!

Kona
20140303 Kona Portrait Small.jpg

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 12

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:59 pm

These are so lovely! Thanks for continuing to post :)
Kona is turning out beautifully! But he's not done growing yet! :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 13

Post by firleymj » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Kona’s Diary – Month 13

Well, I got to find out what that birthday thing is all about! Yum! I got this really tasty beef that Mark called “steak” and an egg along with my kibble. I also got this HUGE new bone to gnaw on, and a pile of salmon treats. Mark won’t let me eat all the treats at once, but they are good. Yum! I’m still not completely clear on what that has to do with being a year old, but if it tastes this good, let’s have more of these birthdays things!

Things have been better with Mark, he’s not barking so oddly anymore, but he does still have trouble with his muzzle from time to time. But at least he’s smelling like his old self and that has to be good.

The days are getting longer, but we don’t know from one day to the next whether it’s going to be hot or cold. Very strange. We have more time to spend at the dog park where I can run free and visit with my friends. There are some new dogs coming, Polar I told you about already (he’s a little crazy but so much fun to wrestle with, and Bootsie, and Wilson (I think he’s a water dog, but I’m not sure), and Samson. There’s a new North American Indian Dog (a liver colored girl) who’s really fun – she almost plays like a Tamaskan! There are a lot more but I’m only learning their names and smells yet. Jack and Chelsea have been showing up a lot more lately. It’s so much fun. Even though Jack is a lot bigger than I am, we can run and play together and run till we just stop panting.

There are little tiny birds Mark says are duck and goose puppies. I tried to play with one of them but it ran away. At least it didn’t run into the air like the older ones do. We got to hear what Mark called a coyote – but I think it’s a dog with a funny smell the other day.

And I got to spend a few days with Max this month which was great. We played together and with another dog that Max knows called Roo. Roo is a lot of fun! We can chase each other and play, sometimes Max gets a little jealous, I think, but Roo’s such a good player. And when I was with the Browns we got to see a fox. I’ve seen one before, but not that close, and they definitely are relatives, just from the way they smell, but they sure have a funny looking tail – not like any dog I know. The Browns and Mark all laughed when Max tried to chase it off and I followed. The fox was too far away and too fast for us, but that won’t stop us if it tries to sneak in their yard again – Max and Roo and I will get him – that yard is for our pack, not his.

Mark seems to have changed after my birthday too. I can sleep through the night on my own without fussing, and when he shuts what he calls “the bedroom door” I don’t howl anymore. That seems to make him a lot happier. He says I’m outgrowing “separation anxiety” whatever that is. All I know is that I know he’ll be there, so I can just sleep where I want, and I don’t have to make a fuss to make sure I know where he is. He even smiles when he gets up and finds me guarding his door (I always make sure to face outward in case any bad things want to get at him while he sleeps.)

Mark says there’s another one of those human “holidays” coming up that he calls “Easter.” I wonder if it’s like that Christmas thing. If it’s like birthdays, it’s going to be tasty.

Gotta go, time for a walk!

Kona
20140301 Kona Guards Millie.jpg

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 14Ko

Post by firleymj » Wed May 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Kona’s Diary – Month 14

I like Easters, they’re almost as tasty as birthdays. I got a couple of eggses, and yummy bacon, and a small piece of meat Mark called “ham” with my regular food. Mark tried to tell me that Easter was a day when humans remember their owner giving up everything to keep their pack alive and going. Or something like that. It must take a really kind owner to do all that. I’m not sure why humans have all these special days with special foods, but I’m really not going to say “No!” either.

And barking of food, Mark’s still giving me food for doing silly stuff, like holding out my paw. When he calls “here” and I walk over to him, he seems really, really happy. Don’t know why. There is one thing I get treats for, but not all the time. That’s for doing something called “stay.” I don’t really get it – but I do try – it’ s just that there’s so much going on, sitting on one spot for long is really, really boring.

The inside of our kennel is changing a lot – Mark says it’s because he’s being “thrown out of his office” so that some other humans can make more of what he calls “money” from making his work kennel smaller. He doesn’t seem too happy about it. He sometimes has an odd way of putting things, and I’m not sure what “pennypinching bastards” are, but they don’t sound nice and he smells mad at them.

As the days get longer, we’ve been spending a lot more time at the park, and there are so many dogs coming back after all the cold and snow. We’re seeing a lot more of Nina, and my friend Ranger the coonhound is back, running as strong as ever. He plays really well. Duchess is playing better now that her front legs are getting better, and Candy’s doing a lot better understanding when I bow and wag “slow down.” Sometimes I wonder if she learned people talk before she learned to talk “dog.” There’s a great Akita called “Kito” (I think) and a pretty Native American Village Dog, Kodiak. Indy’s back, and while he’s not quite as fast as some of the other dogs, when he talks, you know to listen. I like playing with Penny, and Nina too. There’s a third redheaded Husky called Sasha who’s kind of small, but has really nice play manners. And I got to play with Misty the Yorkie a few times. I like her, even if she is tinier than our family’s puppies. And we got to take a ride in the car to see Mark’s friend Steve and I got to play with Preacher and Erin. Addy’s back a lot more and I like her – she’s feeling a lot better after they fixed her leg, I guess it just took a long while to heal. I like wrestling with Polar, but he sometimes gets really silly, and even though I can win any time I want, he just keeps coming back over and over. He’s a good dog at heart and for all his growling and barking, you can tell from the way he plays, he’s nowhere as fierce as he sounds. Jack and Chelsea (the Malamutes) have been here more too. I love playing with Jack – even though he’s one of the few dogs that makes me feel small, he plays hard without playing mean. I like that a lot.

Mark told me that there was a day called “Mother’s Day” where we’re supposed to remember our moms. That’s easy for me, and I even hear that my mom is going to have another litter this spring. I’m just hoping she has a healthy set of half-brothers and half-sisters for Max and me. When Mark tried to explain it, he said that his mom left this world a long time ago, even before my mom was born. I could smell he was sad, and licked the water from his eyes. He gave me a huge hug and told me that his mom would have really liked me, and that made me feel good.

The other night we were at the dog park, all of us playing happily when all of a sudden the sky got really dark and the wind blew really hard, and before we could get to the car, it was raining so bad all us dogs were huddling under the shelter roof with our humans. The only time I remember getting that wet was when I went running off that dock thing when I was chasing Timber at the farm and went into the pond. But this was water from above, not water you step in. Poor Mark, he got what he called “soaked.” I feel a little sorry for him and all the humans – their fur just isn’t very good and even though I got just as wet, he smelled really miserable until we got home and he got into some dry cloths. I shook most of the water out of my coat and then let Mark dry me off with a cloth he calls a “towel.”

We only had a few walks with Samantha (she’s not quite smelling like herself lately – her owner, Dan, says it’s a kind of “tummy trouble” and he seems to smell worried. I like him, you can tell he cares about Sam, and come to that, I think he likes all dogs). I can’t think of any he’s not friends with.

We haven’t gotten to spend much time with Max lately, Mark says Max’s humans are having to take one of their people pack to the veterinarian (Mark told me that humans call their veterinarians “doctors.” How is it that people veterinarians have a shorter name than dog veterinarians? Maybe because there’s so few breeds of them? I just hope that people vets don’t stick them with the sharp nasty things like veterinarians do with us dogs.)

It’s kind of odd, but my howl is starting to change. I can growl with a real deep voice, like an adult dog. And my howl is deeper too. Mark often smiles when I howl, he says I can out sing the fire trucks when they pass. I have to ask him to tell me more about that.

I’m getting closer to catching one of those squirrels – I got a paw on one as it ran up the tree, but it smelled really afraid. And the geese things are really getting nasty about now. I really want to get one to play, but I’m starting to give up – even more if they stay so nasty and honk some much. The only bird that really scares me (even a little) is those herons. You think they’re big, but then they fold out somehow (Mark calls it stretching their wings) and they get so BIG! They look as big as an Irish Wolfhound.

Gotta go now, back to chewing on my beef thigh. Yum!
Kona
WP_20140510_13_10_21_Kona Looking Up (Small).jpg

aerowrx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 14

Post by aerowrx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Kona looks all grown up!

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Kona's Diary [Hawthorne James Watson] Now at Month 14

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 pm